Ever gotten your mower stuck!?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MooseMan89, Apr 2, 2011.

1. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya that one is pretty epic lol

2. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

A few years ago I had a lawn with a wet area down in one corner and very carefully managed to get the 48hydo walk behind stuck in a slick area. Went up to the trailer pulled the Ryan Air V off hooked it up with a long chain and pulled it out of harms way.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

For a situation like the Gravely being stuck, you can just grab the front caster arm, lift up a bit and spin the mower around 180 degrees. I've done this myself with my Lazer Z HP when one rear wheel was burried but the other was on semi-solid ground. For a larger mower a couple of guys could do it.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Thats pretty much how I usually get the Gravely un-stuck. But with the tires covered in mud, on a wet hill, and the mower weighs 1500lbs, it didn't work. Getting the Ranger is the last trick in my bag.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

Honestly I surprised myself that I could spin my mower around like that, but I'm sure my 52 inch Lazer HP weighs a good bit less than your Gravely. And yeah, once turf tires pack with mud traction is extremely limited.

I carry a come along just in case but have used my Lazer to pull out my Turf Tracer and vice versa. A ratchet strap will do in a bind too...I did that to get my mower on the trailer once before I got the come along. The problem with a ratchet strap is that you can't pull very far with them at a time.

6. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, a couple of times. Been lucky so far and had help getting them out, but now I carry a Master 12V winch I got at Wal-Mart for $50. It's got a 30 ft. cable on it and attaches to the hitch ball and connects to the battery.

Ever noticed where many mowers have the hydraulic system releases located; down under where you generally can't access them when a wheel is buried. I like the Bob Cat location since you have a couple of pull releases you can access from the top of the mower. It's better to have the wheels where they free wheel when pulling the mower.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I remember you posting that before.

http://70.85.43.66/showthread.php?t=247870

8. Anthony6589

Anthony6589 LawnSite Member

It happen to me too with zero turn...... that why I like commercial walk behind with sulky. Stand on is ok

9. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Who hasn’t gotten their mower stuck a few times? Luckily I’ve never gotten my truck stuck while pulling out a mower.

7A49F025-1C12-4BE4-A8F6-8686A7459FB7.jpeg

062703D9-3ED3-42DF-ACAA-C77A03DC89EB.jpeg

Anthony6589 likes this.
  10. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Zero turn gets stuck in mud at least once a year in spring when the ground is mush. Grab the nose and turn it 180 degrees and pull, and usually get it out.

Thats why I use a tractor mower on wet ground in spring, tends to not get stuck and tear sh** up as much.

Brucey and Anthony6589 like this.