Ever regret buying a 2x4 dump truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLLandscape, Mar 2, 2018.

1. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly why I like the red flat bed stake truck and were my exact thoughts. Side loading pallets, can haul a lot of mulch, place to throw debris during maintenance days, etc..

I have a dump trailer and it can haul a ton of materials. What I want now after years of doing this is a truck that can haul materials and tow my enclosed trailer. That way I'm not forgetting anything and have everything I need with me.

If I do pick up the truck I'll definitely look into getting my CDL-A so I can tow the dump trailer with the dump truck. That way if I have a huge but simple trim, edge, mulch job you can bring mulch with you and take all your spoils vs having to leave, go dump, go get mulch, make the trip back. I'd rather be able be be on the site at all times vs wasting an hour or more driving around.

hort101 likes this.
  2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Great pointsThumbs Up
    You can get repair sheet metal patches if you can do your own work:mechanic:

If the frame is solid and in good mechanical condition it could be worth doing the body work

Walker56 likes this.
  3. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

I know it's not your style but if you go 2x4 you can't beat the payload of a npr style with the 6.0 gasser. Just saying.....

4. PLLandscape

Not out of my thought process but most around here I've seen are box trucks. Then I need to purchase a bed, hoist, have it installed, etc. That just adds too much to the cost I would think. Plus alot of them are 150,000 mi+ and for a gasser I'm not liking that. 100k is about my limit.

5. PLLandscape

I found panels pretty cheap. I'd pay someone I know to do it. Not worth my time and effort to just screw it up. I do most of my mechanical work but have learned that my money is better spent with others when they have the specialized tools. For example my winter beater escape needed a new front wheel bearing. I priced out the parts and looked at how long it would take me. Went to my local repair shop and the price they told me was about $150 more than the parts. I dropped the money right then and there and picked up the car the next day. Money well spent imo.

hort101 likes this.
  6. caseysmowing

Very true. Buying truck without a bed gets pricey quick. I've seen a few around here with dumps but they are too old for my taste. Also search frr, ftr, t5500, t6500,w4500,w5500, and nqr. I missed out on a ftr with a 16ft flat bed dump with less than 100k for 16k. Downside for me on the bigger trucks is I don't like diesels. I don't put enough miles on anything to justify one.

PLLandscape likes this.
  7. PLLandscape

The reason I'm looking at Fords is,

1.) I like them

2.) Chevy and Dodge didn't make a 450/550 version like this back in those years that is affordable or available. 1 tons leave not enough on the table payload wise for a similarly priced 450/550. 12-13k, 15k, 17-19K GVWR 350/450/550. I'd rather the extra 2-7k in legal payload. I've seen way too many 1 ton dumps that are sitting on the axle stops with tires ready to blow. Not safe at all and I'll admit I'm a safety nerd and not a "well let's see what happens". I just upgraded my dump trailer to G-rated tires instead of the E's. Much better capacity and loaded handling than the ballooning E's when near max payload.

3.) I'm a huge fan of the V10

4.) Had SuperDuty trucks for years so I feel like I know them inside and out and know all the quirks hence not looking at 6.0/6.4 diesels.

Mdirrigation, BrandonV and hort101 like this.
  8. caseysmowing

The v10 is all I would have if I ever bought a ford.

PLLandscape likes this.
  9. PLLandscape

This may be the next candidate

2x4
    V10
    68k/mi
    Fixed flatbed

From the fuzzy pictures this truck looks amazing. The only problem is the fixed flat bed. I really need a dump but this truck is amazing looking and only listed at $10k. A new dumping flat bed will probably run $8k so that really elevates the price of the truck. I wish a fixed flat bed made sense.

$18k could probably buy a newer truck with a dump on it.....

5469BF37-108B-4B63-9736-07E6434F376F.jpeg 3301EA74-EB9D-42EB-9A39-8AD89D7FB8DC.jpeg

10. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

You could put a hoist on that one for 3-4k

PLLandscape likes this.