ever repaint the underside of your deck?

plc87

LawnSite Member
I've got a hustler Z 60" deck that the paint has finally almost completely worn off the underside of the deck. I read a thread on here a while ago where a guy paints the underside of his deck every year. My question is, is it really worth it? I suppose I have all the time in the world over the next month until I fire up working again so if I get enough positive responses it'll get added to the to do list.

Anyone ever used some sort of paint that's supposed to create a non stick surface?

edensgate7

LawnSite Member
I just but a 3 dollar can of acrylic clearcoat and spray down the underside of the deck before winter storage. The paint is a waste of money since it is just going to come right off again unless you sandblast the thing down to bare metal and start fresh. The acrylic is clear so it won't overspray onto the upper side of the deck and keeps it from rusting when not in constant use. During the season the deck won't rust because of the grass rubbing on it while mowing.The metal is going to wear down regardless of wether it has paint on it or not. I have a 20 year old backup walk behind that started out as thick 7 gauge steel and is now about half as thick as that but still holding.

martinlawn29

LawnSite Member
Seems like a waste of time just scrape it real good when you chane blades .

nickslawnltd

LawnSite Member
I spray mine with Krown in the fall for winter storage and that's about it

MOW ED

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't know what Krown is but I usually hit the bottom with whatever color can is sitting around when I put it away in the fall. Just stops the rust process for a while as its idle. Otherwise I dont worry about it.