Ever see this?

I opened a valve box today and saw this webbing. Is it just something from the molding process that wasn’t removed at the factory or something else? I also have no idea why the installer didn’t remove it.View attachment 444650
These are the runners emanating from the gate in the mold. See in the center of the cross where it looks like a plastic tube was clipped off? That is the gate. Think of it as the nozzle in the mold that squirts the liquid plastic into the void that is the shape of the end product. The runners are the tubes that carry the plastic to somewhat equally distant points of the part being molded. This helps ensure uniform characteristics like strength in the final product. Plastic cools as it flows and you don't want uneven plastic flow in the part as it is being injected.
And, yes, someone missed cutting off those runners at the plant. Everyone before you didn't know what they are and left them there for fear of damaging the box. Clip away.

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Silver Member
These are the runners emanating from the gate in the mold. See in the center of the cross where it looks like a plastic tube was clipped off? That is the gate. Think of it as the nozzle in the mold that squirts the liquid plastic into the void that is the shape of the end product. The runners are the tubes that carry the plastic to somewhat equally distant points of the part being molded. This helps ensure uniform characteristics like strength in the final product. Plastic cools as it flows and you don't want uneven plastic flow in the part as it is being injected.
And, yes, someone missed cutting off those runners at the plant. Everyone before you didn't know what they are and left them there for fear of damaging the box. Clip away.
Injection molding 101. :nod:

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes, I see 5 valves butted together so tight that one tiny pinhole leak in any fitting or crack in
The valve ruins the entire manifold all the time...

oh, you are talking about the webbing never mind :).
Hold my beer.

P.S. The manifold has no female threads, and is for all intents and purposes bulletproof. {knock wood :hammerhead:} Each threaded zone valve can be removed and replaced if need be, and since it's 40 years and counting that this brand of valve has not shown body cracks on my installs, I won't break down and cry when the first one to do so requires me to lift away the valve box.

Hold my beer.

P.S. The manifold has no female threads, and is for all intents and purposes bulletproof. {knock wood :hammerhead:} Each threaded zone valve can be removed and replaced if need be, and since it's 40 years and counting that this brand of valve has not shown body cracks on my installs, I won't break down and cry when the first one to do so requires me to lift away the valve box.
Are those plain old wire nuts.....for 40 years? Amazing!