1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ever wonder how much you walk a day?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gcbailey, Sep 4, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Tuesday's are a killer walking day for us... For a little background On the residential side we have 14 properties in a sub that are between 1/4 to 3/4 acre. All but two of them have to be walked due to the slopes. The other two can be rode or use a sulky on. I found a bunch of pedometer apps for my phone and decided to try one out.

After figuring my stride out and entering it, according to the app in about 5 hours yesterday morning I walked 6.19 miles. Now, I don't know if that is truly accurate or not, but I somewhat believe it. No wonder I loose 10 pounds a day only to eat it all back up at night...

Oh... this is using a 48" WB and 21"... but 85% with the 48"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Several years ago, I did 10 ferts in one day with a push spreader. I figured the square footage and spreading width and determined that I had pushed that spreader about five miles. If I had used one of today's motorized walk-behind spreaders or ride-ons, my jobs that day would have been a lot easier.
    It wasn't terribly grueling but it was interesting to think about how far I had pushed if I were going in a straight line.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I've always wondered. Especially back when I first started, used to mow 30/lawns with a 21" mower.

Bidding a town home community right now. One requirement is all front yards Must be push mowed. No ZTr.

4. Billscaping

Billscaping LawnSite Member

I'm going to guess 5-10 miles a day, we do a few (10) with a 36 scag or ransome the rest with hrs Honda,lots of raking rock,and trimming

5. gcbailey

from WV

I did mowing only yesterday. One of my guys was arguing with me there was no way that could be right. I told him, his trimming is just doing perimeters, I'm going back and forth and back and forth and back.......

I'm thinking about forking out a huge $.99 for a GPS enabled version and see how much different it is.

6. gcbailey

from WV

21" push mow or could you use a small wb?

7. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I walk everything everyday.
    We use all 48" turf tracers (3).
    No sulky.
    Except right now we hit a dry spell, and that's why I'm typing and not walking.
    But on a typical day of mowing, I estimate 6-8 miles?
    I wore a pedometer one year and figured I walked to Florida and back.

8. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Used a pedometer several years back to guesstimate 5-8 miles per day. After looking at the math, I quit bitching about boots/shoes not lasting long.

9. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Get one of those cheap belt step counters. Measure your step and do the math.

10. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Used a step counter one day while aerating. Was a 12 hour day and did 10 miles. I slept very good that night. Krazy u might want to pick up the toro 30 if u get that.