1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Every Now and Then!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sprout, May 17, 2004.

1. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

:rolleyes: Every now and then I get a call for an estimate like this one. The old couple came out to show me around, the front yard was a piece of cake. They started to tell me how unhappy they were with their present LCO, I let them rattle on as we walked to the back yard. I opened the gate, steped into the back yard and stoped. My first thought was "I take my hat off to this guy (LCO) who ever he his. What a PITA this yard would be to work. Trees, beds, narrow strips of grass, little statues, bird bath, you name it, it was there. I new I did not want this job. I did not want to hurt their feelings so-------- hit them with a big price I new they would never pay. As soon as I gave my price the old guy was ready to throw me off the property. His face said it all. He ended the pain by saying "we will let you know". I could see why the LCO did a bad job, he couldn't help it. Oh well, theres always the next time.

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Last fall, I did a leaf job on a property like that. Utterly cluttered and beyond any hope of cleaning up. This lady really ought to just tear everything out and start over, but I wasn't going to deliver that little blow.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

What is it with old folks and radomly placed obsticles throughout the yard? I see a pattern here.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, had a lot of those, "We are not happy with the current LCO," and then I take a look at their yard and think to myself, "heck, with a yard like this, there is no way to be happy with it."

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

True. True.