Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent a quote to a potential mowing customer. Figured on $61 based on being a 10K property and the amount of trimming needed. I call back and she said another company quoted 35 dollars!?!

Am I crazy? or is this an anomaly?

New business, btw.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I just took on a new account this week where I was the middle price range, I bid $70. The bigger company was $80 and someone bid $40. The woman liked me and as we chatted she told me about “my competition”. The $80 company wasn’t much different from me, it was going to be a crew but there would be no notification before a service or special treatment. The $40 guy actually told her that his mower acts up a lot but he usually “gets there”.

Money wasn’t flowing from the woman and she was tempted to use the cheap guy but said she was willing to pay for someone who acted professional and sounded like they had an idea about operating a business. She didn’t want to have to do “work” tracking down someone with broken equipment and valued knowing that it would just be taken care of on time every time. Fun story.

Seems like the summer is the second wave of new accounts calling after people get tired of working out in the heat to take home $10/hr charging peanuts and using a craftsman lawn tractor. Or the customer is fed up with a chitty looking lawn.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just took on a new account this week where I was the middle price range, I bid $70. The bigger company was $80 and someone bid $40. The woman liked me and as we chatted she told me about "my competition". The $80 company wasn't much different from me, it was going to be a crew but there would be no notification before a service or special treatment. The $40 guy actually told her that his mower acts up a lot but he usually "gets there".

Money wasn't flowing from the woman and she was tempted to use the cheap guy but said she was willing to pay for someone who acted professional and sounded like they had an idea about operating a business. She didn't want to have to do "work" tracking down someone with broken equipment and valued knowing that it would just be taken care of on time every time. Fun story.

Seems like the summer is the second wave of new accounts calling after people get tired of working out in the heat to take home $10/hr charging peanuts and using a craftsman lawn tractor. Or the customer is fed up with a chitty looking lawn.
Perceived value...well done!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do sell myself, I talk about using walks for the light footprint and showing up on time week after week amongst other concerns that I've heard over and over as complaints. It's a service industry and I sell service.
This 100%. Same here, only walks as of now and we sell high quality and reliability.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You laugh because they will see in a year what they get for $35. You can't compete with that in terms of $ so there's nothing you can do besides let the company make the decision based on their criteria. You don't want a customer going for the cheapest price anyways, will always be questioning if you're going to keep them, them haggling you etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just took on a new account this week where I was the middle price range, I bid $70. The bigger company was $80 and someone bid $40. The woman liked me and as we chatted she told me about "my competition". The $80 company wasn't much different from me, it was going to be a crew but there would be no notification before a service or special treatment. The $40 guy actually told her that his mower acts up a lot but he usually "gets there".

Money wasn't flowing from the woman and she was tempted to use the cheap guy but said she was willing to pay for someone who acted professional and sounded like they had an idea about operating a business. She didn't want to have to do "work" tracking down someone with broken equipment and valued knowing that it would just be taken care of on time every time. Fun story.

I've been told a few times by clients they went with me even though I was the middle or higher bid because of our conversation or my response back to their call/text/email. Not to mention those always seem to be the customers who pay on time, are willing to pay for extra work, and sometimes give a tip or cold water in the middle of July.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Always has been and always will be this way I suppose
For sure. We've all been the new guy. And we all benefit from the new guy. Agree here. Just stick to ur guns. And honestly when ur new u have to get business somehow and this is the way you do it.. just part of it. The new guys eventually aren't very good and 45 a week gets much greater results than 35. And he gets cancelled. Learns to do better and then takes business from other new guys. It's a cycle. It's

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Let them try. It can't last long unless they are mowing for charity.

If i only ran walk behinds and push mowers I would do what you guys are doing and sell the heck out of it. Some old ladies and other homeowners have a stigma against big, loud, mowing machines and they insist on push mowers. Not for me, but I can see the potential for work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Way back in the 90s when I first owned a biz I bid on a contract with McDs franchise in my area. Somebody undercut me by 30%. However, that somebody did a horrible job and the franchise fired them. They called me back and asked for a new estimate. Of course I increased it and they kept me for about 4 more years before I sold out. Quality is better than anything in the biz. Undercutters are cutting corners.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It happens everywhere. You don't want customers who are just looking for the cheapest price. I literally still feel the urge to try and win every customer and tbh I try to but the excessively cheap ones are never worth it. I absolutely love my clients who say hey come do a clean up and I can go and just charge our pmh rate plus $30 and bill them and they are not cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It happens everywhere. You don't want customers who are just looking for the cheapest price. I literally still feel the urge to try and win every customer and tbh I try to but the excessively cheap ones are never worth it. I absolutely love my clients who say hey come do a clean up and I can go and just charge our pmh rate plus $30 and bill them and they are not cheap.
Trying to win everybody is trying to pick up every girl who enters the bar. Do you really want some of these prizes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pareto principle is my guide. I require money and I have limited time to do so. Every time I priced low I regretted it. Yes I have charity customers but overall if someone wants a deal and does not appreciate my work it usually ends poorly for me. Remember that your confidence in pricing shows your character and capability. People who appreciate these qualities will pay fairly. Customers that chase me down to give me cookies and money and a heartfelt thank you are my favourite customers but usually not well off financially. Hassle customers, which you acquired by underbidding are grumpy well to do buttholes who throw sticks in your wheels. I cherry pick my customers and weed out the bad ones on constant basis. Over the years I have collected a loyal bunch, from poor widowed grannies to millionaires, $80/month to $1200/month. ~~~ I garden for $50/man hour, so if three people on property customer pays $150/hr. Lawn cutting is based on $45 minimum ( obviously the granny pays $20 ) or a factor of $75/hr, meaning that if property takes 1.5hr to do customer pays $112/cut. The service includes edging and blowing walkways, entrances, vehicles. All of my customers get irrigation startup and seasonal fertilizing included with their yearly subscription. This is a cheap job security measure and takes little time compared to the benefits. ~~~ Over the years I've observed Lawn Service Companies come and go. In the Spring everybody is a gardener, by Summer they realize that it is actually work requiring a multitude of skills, by Fall my inbox is full of potential customers who were abandoned by an under bider. ~~~ We also have to look the part. As it has been suggested in other comments, the equipment and how we present ourselves, punctuality and trustworthiness are assets that have value. If one shows up in filthy rags and barely running equipment one can't ask for top dollar. Please don't tell anyone that I work for cookies and pies.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts