Exmark 30 X Series

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by danothemano, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Not always. I got lots of 21”’s. Some terrible mulching like ybravo. The new design Proline has something about the deck puts it far above the rest when you get into real thick wet stuff.

sjessen likes this.
  2. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

The new Toro proline 21" units have an excellent deck design. The deck is midway between the bubble shape that's best for bagging and the flat deck that's best for side discharging. The blade is also a mid lift. Thus, it will lift the clippings high enough to bag but also not so high that they don't come back down to the blade to get recycled if you are mulching. The deck is also long enough for a 21' blade so that the clippings have time to get recycled while mulching. Add the powerful Kawasaki FJ180 engine and the blade keeps rotating under load even when wet. Toro hit a grand slam with the 21" proline design. It's too bad that didn't follow through with the 30" unit.

sjessen likes this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Suppose the blade on the 30" are too short?

4. Turf Tracer

^^^^* yes. The Old Prolines and even worse the new design X eXmark series 21” collect clippings near rear discharge in thick stuff and drop rpm and grass. The new design just keeps chugging without spitting chunks.

Home Run is right.

sjessen likes this.
  5. joed

I'm not sure. It could be an issue but the bigger ones are the lack of power from the Kawasaki engine. On a 21", the Kawasaki is fantastic because it has ample power to keep the blade spinning while pushing around 120 lbs. On the 30", you are asking the same engine to keep 2 blades spinning and move a machine that weighs 170 lbs. Then, as I mentioned, the deck to me is too short in height and length. The blade cuts the grass and immediately hits a flat and short deck. There's no space or time for the clippings to circulate and come back to the blade. The new Kohler motor should help with the power issue but I'm not sure if it will completely solve the issue. Those are just my observations after 20 + years of mowing.

sjessen likes this.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I have the new engine on an Exmark 30". It is better but does not overcome the shortcomings of the deck which still packs with grass. Dishboy claims the 224 eliminates the power issue.

7. Turf Tracer

Db put the224 on mid Summer. Shouldn’t be a power issue now if doing weekly as he claims. Two 15” never going to cut as good in thick wet as a well designed 21”.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Wonder how well two 17" would be? I think the 224 could spin them with the proper deck design.

9. joed

I'm not surprised by your results. I read that the same issues were being found on the timemaster with the 223 cc Briggs engine. If compare the length of the deck on the 30" to a 21" or a mid size toro walk behind like a 36", that's where I see the design flaw. I think the 224 cc engine should help. Doing some math, the weight increase from a 21" proline to a 30 inch turfmaster is 50 lbs or 42%. Theoretically, you'd need a 40% or so increase in power on the 30" to match. Adding 42% to the 180 cc displacement of the Kawasaki takes you to about 250 cc on the motor. So, I would imagine that the 224 cc motor should help out a lot. The 200 cc should have been on the 21" commercial mower. I always wondered if bringing the deck with down to 28" and lengthening the deck by a few inches would help with the caking issues.

sjessen likes this.
  10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Don't know enough about design to speculate.

Do know the Timemaster at 137lbs with either the 200 or the 224 would do great. The 224 is much better than the 190 but still a bit less than the FJ180v. The 200 is a step up from the Fj180.