Exmark 36 hydro. My first hydro! Decent deal

Joshcole1122

LawnSite Member
D84EE9CD-3C8F-4503-8076-1AB6C9F39612.jpeg
1A2981ED-6777-4A39-9CD7-C5E4C7A432AB.jpeg
Thanks It needs a little work but happy with my purchase, only paid 750. So I’m fine with putting another few hundred even if necessary.
Originally agreed with seller on 1300, however it would not start and I found a sloppy spindle also. So the seller did the right thing and asked if I’d take it for 750. I jumped on it taking a gamble on the hydros being ok.
Going to pull carb first thing this afternoon, suspect float stuck as plenty of gas is mixed with the oil.
Already did compression test 105psi both cylinders.
What’s suggested method for spindles, rebuild or buy as assembly, I have all the tools to rebuild but just seeing what others do. Price doesn’t seem an issue and comparable with assembly or rebuild kit.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
$750 and a little fix-it ain't a bad deal...

OP
Joshcole1122

Joshcole1122

LawnSite Member
Cleaned carb and still would start. Will only start by cheating the governor then idle low. I couldn’t get main jet out of carb when cleaning, hoping they’d the culprit

Green Industry Pro

LawnSite Senior Member
Dope! Can't wait to follow along and see how it work out. I bought my Turf Tracer used and did the same thing. I put $3k into mine from the purchase price and parts to rebuild. Should last me forever considering I don't run it on very many lawns.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
You want keep axle at middle position minimum so you get rake when adjusting caster spacers.
I always set mine in top position and leave it there permanently.

Also always keep max blade spacers above blade and just adjust casters for best cut. You start raising blade in deck and cut suffers.

OP
Joshcole1122

Joshcole1122

LawnSite Member
You want keep axle at middle position minimum so you get rake when adjusting caster spacers.
I always set mine in top position and leave it there permanently.

Also always keep max blade spacers above blade and just adjust casters for best cut. You start raising blade in deck and cut suffers.
yep I read the exmark manual on the process.
I am at lowest axle position for max height. I have 2 spacers under spindle, and 4 under casters. This is set up for me to maintain my ideal height for my fescue of 3 3/8”. I still have almost 1/4” of rake.
Cut had to be terrible before, there were no spacers between blades and spindles. Blades were tucked up at the top of the deck not utilizing the deck space at all.

Last edited: