1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

eXmark 48" hydro on slanted hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Monkee, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Monkee

Monkee LawnSite Member

I am going to upgrade to a bigger mower soon (i have a 21 inch)... and i am thinking about an eXmark 48" hydro. I don't have a very big problem with gates because the few lawns that do have gates, usually have another gate that is much wider for other things and i will be able to fit the 48" through there. And all of my residential lawns are between 1/4 acre to 1 acre (most are about 1/4 to 1/2 though). I have a one commercial lawn but i am trying to go more and more for commercial lawns now. My problem is that about half my lawns have a sloped hill going up to another level:

.........O....................--------------------
    .......--|--.............---
    .........|............---
    ......../ \........---
    --------------

(about like that, but some of the time it's not so steep or big), i hope you can understand the picture... i had to put periods in to keep the hill from sliding over and crushing the guy when i post it.

My question is that since i live in the foothills and half the lawns are a little bit hilly (most are relatively flat though), should i go for an eXmark 36" hydro instead of a eXmark 48" hydro or should i stay with the 48" and go for a floating deck? But since most of the hills on my lawns are just those slants could a eXmark 48" hydro do just fine?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get the 48" hydro. Heck, upgrade to a 52".

I was told this weekend the "correct" answer is 15% grade for Z's, 20% grade for w/b's. Email me if you would like anymore info. ------See Anthony, I can answer it the correct way. :p

3. Get a Turf Tracer 52" not the HP it has a much wider stance and wider and bigger tires.

20 degrees HOSS???????? I mean eXamark LOL

I know for a fact the TT will hold on steeper than that!!!

Closer to 40 degrees.

Dude the TT 52" is your best choice, I know it will cost more than the 48" but well worth the extras that come with it.