Exmark 60” hydraulic issue

Kgreenlaw

LawnSite Member
Good morning everyone, I recently purchased an ex mark 60 inch serial number is in the 370,000 and up. Left side wheel does not spin of us jacked up. One thing I did notice is there is no resistance against the wheel with the machine shut off on the left side. Is anyone able to help me determine whether this is a pump or a wheel motor? Thank you

mauler01

LawnSite Member
everyone on here is going to tell you the only way to check a pump is a flow test. Unless you own one a good shop is the only way to test this.

did you ask the owner what happened before the left wheel quit working?

is there metal in the hydraulic reservoir? check it with a magnet

did you make sure the screw that allows you to tow the mower and alleviates the pressure from the pump to motor is tight? Is the O ring ok on this?

is it possible the pump has air in it? or the oil lines cracked? you can unscrew the top of the pump and let oil prime up through it.

is the hydraulic belt worn or slipping?

If it isnt leaking hydraulic oil from the motor you may want to start with the pump if you have the skill to tear it down.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Is anyone able to help me determine whether this is a pump or a wheel motor? Thank you

What model do you have, post the numbers.

Shade tree way to check if the wheel motor is bad. With the machine jacked up, with the wheel on, try to move the wheel up and down. If you have any play up and down, then the wheel motor is bad.

OP
K

Kgreenlaw

LawnSite Member
What model do you have, post the numbers.

Shade tree way to check if the wheel motor is bad. With the machine jacked up, with the wheel on, try to move the wheel up and down. If you have any play up and down, then the wheel motor is bad.
The model number is LZ27KC604 and the Vin number is 376884. I pulled the Hydro pump off the mower and disassembled and does not appear to have any real where inside. Was draining the Hydro fluid did not Observe any metal inside. The previous owner had said he believed need to pump as he already replaced the other side. I just wanted to confirm before ordering a new pump

mauler01

LawnSite Member
can you define "not any real wear"

was the thrust bearing ok? the cylinder body ok? the pistons move freely? the swash plate not scored?

when you put it back together was the pump primed with oil?

OP
K

Kgreenlaw

LawnSite Member
can you define "not any real wear"

was the thrust bearing ok? the cylinder body ok? the pistons move freely? the swash plate not scored?

when you put it back together was the pump primed with oil?
The freshwater spun freely and had no damage with inside. Squash plate didn’t have any scores on it cylinder body all looks good in the pistons move freely a tiny little bit of where were at seats the trust washer.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
You may have a restriction some where, hoses?

mauler01

LawnSite Member
So the thing is if your pump is working properly, even if the wheel motor is bad or worn, unless it's blowing oil out the seals it should turn some if the back is jacked up