1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark ECS sytem with velke

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Nov 20, 2004.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark users, I am looking to upgrade my old , Exmark pistol grip belt drive walk behinds. How does the newer ECS fixed deck hydros perform when considering lifting the deck over obstacles while standing on a velke? It looks like the ECS actually would be a disadvantage here. Let me know if I am wrong or right. I don't think pistol grips are even an option anymore.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have an Exmark with the ECS controls and a Velke. I dont have any problems leveraging the front end of the mower up when I need to. I weigh right at 200lbs. Someone 150lbs might find it a challenge.

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll get the hang of it. It is alittle harder at first but then again I went from a 36" pistol to a 52" so considering the weight differences its not too bad. I would go with the ECS over pistol anyday.

4. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnworker,

I have a 60" Turf Tracer with ECS and a homemade velke. I also only weigh about 155 or so pounds. I started with pistol grips on a 48. It did take a while to get used to it. The key I think is to pull back on the handles as you let out on the controls. Two other things that help are one a full tank of gas and the second is the addition of a lift spring for the velke. It serves two purposes one it lifts the velke out of the way when I step off it. The other is when I am standing on it it lightens the front end some making it easier to raise it.

Ed

5. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I am sorta leaning toward the viking fixed deck hydros. I am ready for a change in mowers. It will be nice having true control over speeds. And no slippage to worry about.

Regarding weight, I am pushing 180# so I should be all right.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I run both 52" TTHP/ECS/jungle wheels, and 36" Metro/jungle wheels. To be honest I am about to sell my 36" and get another TTHP. You will be better off getting a floater as opposed to fixed like Viking. The way height adjusted and blades changed, also deck cleaning, etc, I would not consider Viking over TTHP. The ability to be zero turn of hydro and instant reverse is "priceless" beyond explanation. The belt WB is just a starter but to make a serious living, no way.