Exmark fuel issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by IAM MACHINIST, Nov 6, 2018.

1. IAM MACHINIST

IAM MACHINIST LawnSite Member

thinking of purchasing exmark metro 48 for a flip model number is M15KA483P serial is 659241 engine is kawi fh430v15kai. Current owner states mower runs but is having fuel spit out from air filter. Says he put a new carb on it and fuel pump. To me sounds like a float bowl issue but kinda weird if new carb. possibly gas tank cap vent? He wants 550$ for mower and is fairly clean machine belts look ok and newer tires..anybody have any other ideas? Possibly known issue on this kawi? Not sure if he has messed with any carb settings.

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

hort101 likes this.
  3. IAM MACHINIST

Thanks walker. I thought there could be a possible valve issue but he said mower runs fine ...but at the very least i will do a compression check before i buy. Could very well be an issue there.

4. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

first....ignore this fool...there is no fuel pump.....it's gravity driven...

second, rebuild the carb and replace the air filter and crankcase breather with an oil change.

third- fixed

5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Cant say I ever seen a Kawasaki KAI without a fuel pump.
    If people would post numbers, that could be proven.

Do you have access to and the ability to use a vacuum gauge?

It could be a tight intake valve, or a leaking intake valve.
    Both might not show with a compression test.
    A leaking valve will show with a leakdown test, but without experience using the tool, they are close to useless.
    The valve train on Kawasaki's, always loosen with use. Never tighten, unless a guide is moving. Rare on an intake but possible.
    Is there any fuel accumulating in the air filter hsg overnight?

Or, there's not a problem at all, completely in someone's head, and the spit back is normal. 4 cycles do spit back. Not as bad as a 2 cycle, but still.

Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  6. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

hort101 likes this.
  7. IAM MACHINIST

I am currently still working out a time to see mower...which may not even happen now because he is “not available” on weekends ...i am familiar with both compression and leakdown tests so that is no issue....this thread was more of a feeler for possible common issues with this engine but seems like i will just perform the normal diagnostics tree if i actually fet a chance to take a look at this thing ...just figured for 500 bucks there potential money to be made here. Thanks for all the replies and manuals. Much appreciated.

Walker56 and hort101 like this.