• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

exmark hp wont start

jeepman4u

LawnSite Member
I drove the mower on the trailer after a yard to move on to the next one then won't start. Now it winter so get it fixed for this season. I have change out the kill relay and then i was told it was the front module seat delay. wrong. I hit it with start fluid in the air filter and it started of that seconded and then died again. I'm get gas to and from the fuel pump on the side of the motor. Any help that can fix my problem.

Sawil

LawnSite Member
What engine do you have on your machine? Have you looked to see if your carburetor has a fuel solenoid? If so make sure the solenoid is working and getting power when you turn on the key switch.
A fuel solenoid prevents the engine from backfiring when the engine is shut down by blocking the main jet in the carb.

OP
J

jeepman4u

LawnSite Member
It a 20 hp kohler engine, I have power going to the red wire to the solenoid. One thing just not right is you pull out the pto switch and the mower will still turn over. It should not do that right.

Sawil

LawnSite Member
As far as the PTO switch goes, I am not sure how the Exmark is wired.
Here is what we know:
The engine has spark and turns over. We know this by your starter fluid test.
Fuel pump is working. (you stated)
I am still suspicious of the fuel solenoid or clogged main jet.
There is also a green ground wire attached to the top of the carb, make sure this has not been disconnected or broken.
I assume you have a CV20 spec # 65601
Put a catch pan under the carb, thread out the solenoid. Note if fuel drains out, if not you may have a stuck float needle. The tip of the solenoid has a brass jet threaded on it. Remove the jet **(DO NOT LOOSE THE JET, you will have to by a complete carburetor)** make sure it is not clogged. Inside the port you removed the jet from you will see a needle. Check to see if that needle moves freely. If not the solenoid may need to be replaced. If the needle does move is still may not be actuating when power is applied.
I hope this helps.
1-888-652-3990

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Hmmm....

It really sounds like a fuel problem if it will start with spray, have you replaced the fuel filter?
It could also be the spark plug, has that been replaced with one that's properly gapped?

OP
J

jeepman4u

LawnSite Member
new fuel filter just did that, will put the new plug in thursday and give you a up date, just trying to save money, but about to ship it off to a dealer. thanks for the help so far.

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Check to make sure your choke is working properly, pull the air filter box and then test. I had my choke on my Gravely get stuck closed, would not do anything, it would partially jump off starting fluid from the very small amount of air intake but was totally inoperable. Or one of your jets may be plugged. The only other suggestion I would have would be spark/coil related. After replacing the plugs, check your spark to make sure both coils are firing, as it could only have one firing. Good Luck