1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark hydro pump leaky front seal.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MikeM99, Jul 25, 2011.

1. MikeM99

MikeM99 LawnSite Member

The front seal (the #20 shaft seal) on one of my Hydro-Gear pumps is leaking a little. I have some new seals on order but the more I read, the problem may be deeper than just the front seal. I have the old seal out and the shaft isn’t scored or worn where the seal makes contact. What is the chance that this 40mm OD x 17mm ID x 7mm thick seal is my problem? Do I need to install a whole new seal kit and rebuild the pump? Should I save myself a headache and order a new pump?

Thanks for your time.
    Mike

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Is the seal cooked ? rubber real hard ?
    If it is ...replace all the seals.
    If not , check for endplay on the shaft, output bearing might be going bad.

3. MikeM99

MikeM99 LawnSite Member

I should add that this is a 2005 Turf Tracer, TT3615KAC, with around 800-900 hours on it.

Thanks for your response, Piston Slapper. The existing seal doesn't seem to the burned, the sealing surface is still pliable. I also checked and the shaft doesn't have any play in it.

4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you use Exmark hydro fluid?

5. MoGreen

MoGreen LawnSite Member

That has nothing to do with a hydro-pump....

6. joesmower

joesmower LawnSite Member

It could also be your trust bearing #34 in the break down. Put a magnet in the hydro tank, if you pull out metal I would do a rebuild and flush the system.

7. razor1

I never said it did.

8. razor1

Mike, make sure your return hydro lines are working properly. I had one collapse internally causing the shaft seal to fail.