1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

ExMark Metro HP 36 Fix up and restoration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Collin02, May 19, 2020.

1. Collin02

Collin02 LawnSite Member

Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting this in but what the heck.

Looking into picking up an older ExMark walk behind. The stickers are wore off but it looks like a Metro HP 36. It has a Kohler engine. PG belt drive. Needs carb work, head gasket, other minor things. I can pick it up pretty cheap. It looks pretty similar to my toro proline 37 that I got started with 6 years ago!

I like to work on stuff and may buy it as a project for my spare time. Get it in good working order then maybe repaint, etc and make it look new.

Anyone know of any common problems with these mowers? It looks like maybe a late 90s early 2000s model. Anything I should be aware of? I have a belt drive walk-behind already so I know the basics like the transmission belt, etc.

Also, does anyone know a close match to ExMark red paint? And what do you do with the plastic parts like the gas tank? Do you paint it or use something like back to black for car trim?

Thanks for your help, and I will post pics in this thread if I decide to do it.

2. andyreed

andyreed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Rustoleum regal red for the paint. Post pics of the progress.

Collin02 and hort101 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Collin02

Collin02 LawnSite Member

960FF926-0C6E-441D-9504-9065FDE99F16.jpeg 54491EC5-A587-4927-A205-B3D42494A885.jpeg
    73110A96-5335-4950-82C6-55093F8865C7.jpeg
    AC11FA2C-75B6-4911-A6E2-348E04DDF28B.jpeg
    8B94C94B-1AC4-4CCE-803E-63243DFE0DF4.jpeg

I picked up the mower today. It has a Kohler Command Pro 15. Actually the same engine I have on my old toro walk-behind. The guy I got it from owns a dealership in my town. He said they put a new transmission on it in 2016. I don’t think its been used much since.

It’s running, I started it and drove it around his parking lot and drove it right up on my trailer. Deck is good. Belts look decent except maybe the bottom belt that drives the transmission. I’ve never used pistol grips and they are gonna take some definite getting used to coming from a toro T-bar.

Carb is leaking. Haven't taken it apart yet but I’ll probably just replace it. Needs a head gasket, there is evidence of oil leaking from there. Obviously also needs a tune up and maybe some minor throttle adjustment.

I plan to get it running and try it out. I have never owned anything exmark so I want to see how the floating trivantage deck does. Definitely wont be my primary mower as I prefer standers, but may be a better backup than my old toro proline 37.

4. OP
    OP
    Collin02

Collin02 LawnSite Member

Well damn the exmark model and serial number plate is gone. Any idea how to look up those based on the engine or something else?

update: based on the engine spec I believe it is a 2006 Metro HP 36” with the TriVantage deck. Anyone have model number for this machine?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  5. OP
    OP
    Collin02

Collin02 LawnSite Member

Started tearing it apart tonight. Took the deck off. Removed all the hardware, pulleys, decals, and spindles. Scraped the big stuff off the bottom. Its ready for pressure washing, sanding, and painting next.
    AB7ED5C8-8CCC-45BB-96CA-EFA83386B40B.jpeg 22006996-1757-41DB-860C-0C0BB3375A9F.jpeg

Then I started tearing down the engine. I picked up a head gasket today and have a carb, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plug, air filter coming tomorrow.

The engine covers are ready for pressure washing and painting with high heat paint.

I am in the process of thoroughly cleaning the cylinder head before I reinstall it with the new head gasket.

Hopefully by the end of tomorrow the engine will be all put back together, and maybe even the deck painted. Then all that will be left is cleaning, masking and painting the rest of the unit and some odds and ends parts I have coming from ebay next week.
    AB5884EB-52DA-421B-A71F-FFF15CBD5676.jpeg DA8B989F-EFBB-441B-B212-CA29AAE6E49B.jpeg

hort101 and andyreed like this.
  6. BGTLS

BGTLS LawnSite Member
    from WI

Looks like a nice project. Here is its little cousin fresh out of paint two years ago with regal red from Rustoleum. I cut new decals on the vinyl cutter at the school I teach at and also painted the wheels black because they were pretty rusted and looked really bad. You can tell I only did the deck as the rear is still faded but wasn't rusty like the front, it looks a bunch better than it used to. I wish it had an adjustable deck like yours. I like to use 303 Aerospace Protectant to bring back the plastics. Spray it on and just let it sit, then repeat multiple times. The engine plastics turned out almost like new on this Kawasaki and on an old Lesco I refurbished. Keep up the nice work on the restoration.

20180526_170631.jpg

Collin02 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Collin02

Collin02 LawnSite Member

That looks really nice man! What year is that metro? I cant find the metro decals anywhere bc they are discontinued do you think I could have one made at a screenprint shop or something?

8. OP
    OP
    Collin02

Collin02 LawnSite Member

Borrowed a pressure washer and did the deck
    596033AD-ABC3-48A2-A45D-70ED28C5CD45.jpeg
    Painted the engine covers with rustoleum high heat ultra
    57F98A9E-E82F-41A8-9B15-D86401654CAC.jpeg
    Primed the deck with rustoleum rusty metal primer
    F6127AA6-692E-4DDA-A31E-B2FE58DF4280.jpeg
    Rubberized undercoating underneath the deck
    8D9DD007-0210-42F6-AD10-A60C7C132560.jpeg
    Got all my parts in and got the cylinder head all cleaned up so I’ll put it all together tomorrow.
    141F0EAB-CA1C-425B-AA70-2397E8F1091E.jpeg

andyreed and hort101 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Collin02

Collin02 LawnSite Member

Got it all put back together and changed the oil. Now it won’t start. I suspect the coil as when I have the plug out there is no spark. New coil coming Monday.

10. BGTLS

BGTLS LawnSite Member
    from WI

Yeah, I think any sign shop could make you some decals. The ones on my machine are not factory they were just the easiest ones that I could make on the simple vinyl cutter at school. I found a picture online and used a graphics program to make it into a cut-able file. I believe mine is a 2002 model, it is at my storage garage right now and I have not looked at the plate since the rebuild two years ago. It is kind of a back up mower now for me. I got it to replace my even older Lesco and while I like the hand controls better on the Exmark it does not cut or stripe as well as my old Lesco so I use that one still and only use the Exmark to cut the lawn at my storage building and as a back up mower. I am going to try a few tricks on the Exmark this year to see if I can't get a better cut and stripe out of it. One thing to check if you don't have spark and removed the coil in the rebuilding process is to make sure you have it on with the correct side up. I teach small engines at the high school where I work and I have seen students a couple of times put the coil on upside down on accident and have no spark. If you removed it as part of the rebuild maybe flip it over and check for spark, you will only get spark if the correct side is up. Also if you have a multi-meter or continuity tester turn the mower key on with the transmission in neutral and the blades disengaged and see if you measure 0 ohms from the little tab with the wire connected on the coil to the engine block or the light/buzzer turns on on the continuity tester. If so you may have a bad safety switch somewhere which is not letting you get spark. Otherwise it is looking good. Can't wait to see it all refinished.