ExMark Metro HP 36 Fix up and restoration

OP
Collin02

Collin02

LawnSite Member
Yeah, I think any sign shop could make you some decals. The ones on my machine are not factory they were just the easiest ones that I could make on the simple vinyl cutter at school. I found a picture online and used a graphics program to make it into a cut-able file. I believe mine is a 2002 model, it is at my storage garage right now and I have not looked at the plate since the rebuild two years ago. It is kind of a back up mower now for me. I got it to replace my even older Lesco and while I like the hand controls better on the Exmark it does not cut or stripe as well as my old Lesco so I use that one still and only use the Exmark to cut the lawn at my storage building and as a back up mower. I am going to try a few tricks on the Exmark this year to see if I can't get a better cut and stripe out of it. One thing to check if you don't have spark and removed the coil in the rebuilding process is to make sure you have it on with the correct side up. I teach small engines at the high school where I work and I have seen students a couple of times put the coil on upside down on accident and have no spark. If you removed it as part of the rebuild maybe flip it over and check for spark, you will only get spark if the correct side is up. Also if you have a multi-meter or continuity tester turn the mower key on with the transmission in neutral and the blades disengaged and see if you measure 0 ohms from the little tab with the wire connected on the coil to the engine block or the light/buzzer turns on on the continuity tester. If so you may have a bad safety switch somewhere which is not letting you get spark. Otherwise it is looking good. Can't wait to see it all refinished.
Thanks for all the help! Turns out it wasnt the coil but the cheap carb i got on amazon. It was defective.... replaced the coil anyways though.

OP
Collin02

Collin02

LawnSite Member
Head gasket replacement did not fix the oil leaking from that area.... i think it is leaking from the valve cover. It doesnt have a gasket and i dont think it ever did. Should i just use gasket maker on it to seal it up? Also there appears to be gas leaking from a hole in the muffler....im guessing this just means i need to clean the carb and possibly replace?

OP
Collin02

Collin02

LawnSite Member
Sounds like you need to do a little better on your diagnosis before throwing parts at a problem :D
Haha. It was actually leaking fuel from the exhaust. Fuel had contaminated the crankcase as well due to dirty carb. Cleaned the carb and changed the oil now its perfect. The head gasket was definitely leaking before and needed to be replaced. I think I have it sold. We’ll see tomorrow

Top Forums