Lawn Care Forum banner

Exmark Metro Noise issues when moving ?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  cyclesteel 
#1 ·
Hi

I am currently cleaning up a 94 Exmark Metro which I probably should have passed on . I thought I was getting a pretty good deal but after going through it over the past week I found a bunch of issues which I am currently trying to fix.

This is my first time dealing with a walk behind so I am leaning as I am going and might not have some of the terms correct.

When In gear and moving the mower makes a almost metallic noise ( which I am pretty sure I did not here when I was buying it). It does not happen when in neutral or when In gear with the clutches in. The transmission shifts and spins fine and the mower has plenty of pull when moving and hauling my fat self behind it on a sulky. I thought it could be the brake bands. I pulled the wheels and cleaned up all the old dirty grease that was caked on back there ( reverse now works really good). But even though I am pretty sure i need new bands I do not think it is the bands. It will start making the noise when letting either sides clutch out a little before the wheels start moving. The drive belts are pretty nasty and need to be replaced but it starts before the wheels get going. I guess they could be slipping a little before engaging.

What else should I check drive idlers? Transmission belt & idler? I am not sure if this has anything to do with it but the parking brakes do not work, The brakes work if I pull the clutches all they way in but not when engaging the thumb switch and when I adjust the brake rods to the point the parking brakes work I need two hands to engage the parking brakes

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Bearings Seem Ok. I am 90% sure it is the drive belts at this point. I ordered some new ones and will give them a try this weekend or next. I am debating about ordering new brake bands also. They work but they are pretty worn down and can not set the parking brake anymore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.