Exmark or Ferris for pushing snow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Wondering what mower would be better at pushing snow with a blade. My exmark that I used last year did pretty well, but I am wondering if the ferris DD would be better for it? There used to be lots of guys that used their WBS for plowing snow on here.

2. KPW LawnCare

KPW LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

What exmark do you have?

3. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

my Hustler SWB does a pretty good job with my very makeshift (prototype hahaha) plow, basically a board in front of it... I would look at the tires the machine has on it, you might find that NARROWER tires with more tread will do a better job, as they will get through the slush and snow to the pavement/ground whereas wider tires tend to float on top of it.

4. OP
    OP
    MikeKle

Last year I used the TT for plowing and thought I would need chains, but it didnt have any traction issues at all. The biggest problem was putting enough weight on the front to keep the blade down, Thats why I thought about leaving the deck on and just mounting the blade to the front of the deck support frame, but that would be one long plow!

Cam15 likes this.
  5. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Which companies make snow blades or snow blower attachments for walk behind mowers and ztr mowers?

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    MikeKle

I think JRCO and Toro make one, but I am using a blade made for a riding tractor and I just modified the mounting bracket to fit a WB, Mine is 48" wide.

Cam15 likes this.
  7. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Could I see pictures of that modification?

Cam15 likes this.
  8. workinggirl

workinggirl LawnSite Member

I got a Mibar plow last summer and it's the coolest thing out there, its got enough down pressure to lift the ZTR casters off the ground. My favorite part is the Quick Clamps that let the snow plow come of by pulling on a handle in front.

Videos of a Dixie Chopper plowing and an exmark Lazer on their site.
    http://mibarproducts.com/videos.html

9. OP
    OP
    MikeKle

Something like that Mibar plow would easily mount to a WB frame too!

10. WarriorLandscaping

WarriorLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Male

Hey guys, wanted to revisit this.

I have a Ferris FW-35 48" 18.5 HP Kawi.

I think this thing would eat snow for breakfast - it's very strong, I barely crank up the speed when I mow.

Has anyone successfully attached a plow on these units for commercial snow plowing?

We have some large driveways and small parking lots where I could see this taking care of business.

My other idea was an Atv with a plow, but that is a good chunk of change!

Cam15 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.