Exmark or gravely

JABBERS

LawnSite Senior Member
Here is my situation and if you can comment on it I would appreciate it. I'm going to buy a 72 inch mower either exmark or gravely. On the exmark side I got quoted some prices. A s series with a kohler 29 efi is $11,300 72 inch deck. A x series with a 34 kaw for $13100 or a 38 hp kohler for $13,500. I visited gravely and a pro turn with a 72 inch deck 31 hp kaw is $12,500. So what do you guys think? Thanks for your time.

OP
J

JABBERS

LawnSite Senior Member
bump, bump

mtmower

LawnSite Bronze Member
Jabbers, Just came from my Gravely dealer and looking at a Pro Turn 460 with the Kohler EFI and the big Kaw.

IMO you need to put some heat on your dealer. I live in BFE and everything is MSRP or more here normally. Your dealer is quoting you full boat I believe. I was quoted full MSRP of $11699.00 for 60" with EFI Kohler and $11,999.00 for a 60" with the big Kaw. My dealer is Ariens and new enough he had to sign up to get the ball rolling so this may not be exact because he's newer to Gravely (does do Ariens and Toro so some experience).

Promotional pricing is the next step after MSRP. Promo for the 60 EFI is $10400.00 and the 60 with the big Kaw is $10,999.

They also have fleet pricing. It starts at 12.5k and knocks 20% of and I believe shipping is also free to the dealer at this point. If I understand correctly they get a kick back as well. So if you come close to $12500.00 they knock of 20%.

In my case if I buy the Kaw equipped at promo of $10999.00 and add a bagger at $2379.00 and a striper kit at $74.00 and a trailer hitch kit for $40.00 my total for fleet pricing would be $14492.00 before the 20%. Total before the brake is $13,492.00. End total is $10,793.60. The dealer kept saying $10k and your getting the bagger, hitch, and striper for free basically.

Husqvarna is doing something similar, I believe at the 10k mark, or you can get a mid grade backpack blower for free.

Hustler is not offering much off until you hit two plus units if I understand correctly.

Hope this helps.

OP
J

JABBERS

LawnSite Senior Member
What motor does kaw have. The only one I can get is the 31 hp kaw. Called some other dealers and they are at $11,499 for the same thing. I like the gravely never owned one and I will test that deck first

mtmower

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yea, it's the FX921V 31 hp. before they went to the new hp. rating which is much more accurate I believe it was rated at 35 or 37 hp.

I've never run Gravely either and am looking at them as well as the other two brands I mentioned. Of course the 400 is new to everyone being the first year so I'm hesitant. Looks good on paper except I'm not sure about the deck shoot opening which looks much too small IMO. I am going to try and demo also.

I ran Exmark about 11-12 years ago and they did well for me. I have a friend that has run them in the Columbus area for the last 15yrs with pretty good luck. He has at least four or five units and at least one over 3000 hrs that he's never changed the hydro fluids in and is still kicking. He's not as impressed with the newer models that have come out. Likes the older ones better. This is a common theme I've been hearing and why Exmarks not in my list of possibles.

Keep us updated on what you end up doing.

OP
J

JABBERS

LawnSite Senior Member
I run exmarks also. I like the new exmarks but the website is hard to follow and they wont deal at all. I also have a 2005 hustler which is ok but wouldnt buy again

mtmower

LawnSite Bronze Member
I run exmarks also. I like the new exmarks but the website is hard to follow and they wont deal at all. I also have a 2005 hustler which is ok but wouldnt buy again

I'm almost there with you on the Hustlers. If they can make them cut then it wouldn't be a question. I'd stay with them. The new deck looks like a good set up but not all people seem to have had the best results. If they added larger fuel tanks, an isolated platform and air seat it wouldn't hurt a bit either.

OP
J

JABBERS

LawnSite Senior Member
Hustler was one of the worst thing i ever bought. But thats my own opinion.

OP
J

JABBERS

LawnSite Senior Member
bump bump bump