Exmark radius s perplexing issue

Kentucky fan

LawnSite Member
Howdy folks I have a very annoying issue with a 2 year old radius s. This machine is a 2019 model with 110 hours on it as of the last mowing. This is the second season of use on this machine, it is a personal use machine (welder by trade) I mow around 6 acres weekly varying between flat ground and hills.

Here is the issue. With no rhyme or reason that I can see after around 1.5 - 2 hours of mowing the machine will start to randomly die requiring me to choke it and get off and back on the seat to restart mowing. With this being said it does not always do it sometimes it will go the entire 3.5 or so hour session with no issues. However after the first time it dies it increases in frequency until the mower is unusable.

Before anyone asks yes I am aware that this machine is under warranty. In fact it has been taken back to the dealer 4 times now with them unable to replicate the issue and replacement of multiple parts and attempted fixes that I will list momentarily. Last time they even got their factory rep to come give it a look. They are just as perplexed by this issue as I am.

Attempted fixes listed in order.

Checked coils
Replaced seat sensor
Replaced fuel pump
Checked carb
Checked wiring
Checked solenoid

Essentially everything electronic has been checked and cleared

Thinking it may have been a vapor lock issue they Replaced the breather to no effect.

Yesterday when mowing the machine started dieing at around half a tank so I filled it back up. Whether related or not I can't tell but the issue stopped for around 30 minutes but then started back worse than ever.

Thank you folks in advance for your time I hate to waste folks time but I am at a wits end here. This is a $8000 machine that I bought to last a lifetime (I always buy the best I can afford). However it is becoming almost unusable with no real remedy in site. It is extremely frustrating to have to call up a truck and trailer to haul this thing back and forth repeatedly as I do not own either at the time. Also as a perfectionist it is extremely frustrating to go several weeks without being able to mow. Any help to point the dealer in the right direction or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Trisao

LawnSite Member
I'm not sure what the problem is but I know specifically that my dealer stopped selling them 2 years ago because of constant issues with them.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
Essentially everything electronic has been checked and cleared

Thinking it may have been a vapor lock issue they Replaced the breather to no effect.

Sounds like you have some sediment in the fuel tank, maybe water from condensation. When you put fuel in it, it stirred the bottom of the tank, mixing it up.Can you see into the bottom of the tank or drain the drain the tank ?

OP
K

Kentucky fan

LawnSite Member
When it starts to die see if you can loosen the gas cap for venting, also check the engine for debris and over heating...
I tried the gas cap loosening to no avail last time as well i forgot to include that

I'm not sure what the problem is but I know specifically that my dealer stopped selling them 2 years ago because of constant issues with them.

That is not comforting but good information to have.

Sounds like you have some sediment in the fuel tank, maybe water from condensation. When you put fuel in it, it stirred the bottom of the tank, mixing it up.Can you see into the bottom of the tank or drain the drain the tank ?

I cannot see into the tank but I will sure give draining it out a try. Do you think a battery siphon would be good enough for this purpose?

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Depending how hard it is to remove the tank, if you can get it off, pour a couple ounces of clean fuel in it, shake and pour out in a clean drain pan to see if anything is in there.
My other thought is using a heat gun or hair dryer and try warming up the ignition coils and see if the engine stalls sooner when running? Just be careful to not overheat things! When the carburetor was checked, was the float level checked? If too low and you’re mowing a hill, could the engine be starving for fuel?

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
I cannot see into the tank but I will sure give draining it out a try. Do you think a battery siphon would be good enough for this purpose?

I guess you could, but that would be slow....Turkey baster would be better.....

Depending on how the tank drains..I have a 2 ft long section of fuel line with a little section of brake line (metal) connected to it. With the fuel shut off, I disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump, tank side, stick the brake line into the fuel line, use a hose clamp to hold it together. put it in a gas can, open the shut off, should gravity feed into the can.

OP
K

Kentucky fan

LawnSite Member
Depending how hard it is to remove the tank, if you can get it off, pour a couple ounces of clean fuel in it, shake and pour out in a clean drain pan to see if anything is in there.
My other thought is using a heat gun or hair dryer and try warming up the ignition coils and see if the engine stalls sooner when running? Just be careful to not overheat things! When the carburetor was checked, was the float level checked? If too low and you’re mowing a hill, could the engine be starving for fuel?

I guess you could, but that would be slow....Turkey baster would be better.....

Depending on how the tank drains..I have a 2 ft long section of fuel line with a little section of brake line (metal) connected to it. With the fuel shut off, I disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump, tank side, stick the brake line into the fuel line, use a hose clamp to hold it together. put it in a gas can, open the shut off, should gravity feed into the can.

Keep in mind it's going back to the dealer tomorrow so really I'm passing these ideas along to them. However I appreciate the idea for future reference. I'm not very mechanically inclined and quite frankly I buy things with long warranties for this reason lol.

I have no idea if they checked the carb float level to be honest. But I will make sure to ask them when I call tomorrow.

Here is another addendum to what was said earlier the way it dies is completely different than if you do something like get off of the seat or move the controls with the brake on. It is more of a completely instantaneous cut out. I don't know if that will help narrow it down.

Trisao

LawnSite Member
I tried the gas cap loosening to no avail last time as well i forgot to include that

That is not comforting but good information to have.

If all else fails you can call my dealer and ask them what the issue was with them.

515-987-2222

OP
K

Kentucky fan

LawnSite Member
If all else fails you can call my dealer and ask them what the issue was with them.

515-987-2222
Heard that thank you.

I may honestly try a different dealership as well as these guys bought out the old dealer recently and are not nearly as mechanically competent.

I would hate to have to resort to dealing with the exmark mothership but if this time doesn't rectify the issue I don't know what else to Do.

Top Forums