1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark shut down while mowing

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DoninVa, Apr 19, 2007.

1. DoninVa

DoninVa LawnSite Member

Hey everyone...its my first post so I will try to be as detailed as I can.

I just purchased an older Exmark model LZ25KC604. She shut down on me while cutting the grass and would not start back up.

This mower has a 12v solenoid switch that looks to only control the starter. When I jumped the solenoid, the engine would turn over. I am getting no "click" noises from the solenoid when the key is turned to start. I only get a small click from the engine (kohler 25) when the key is in the on position, but believe that could be the fuel valve. I don't believe it to be the 12v solenoid because I would assume that it only controls the starter.

Is there any way to narrow down which switch/wire is bad?

Thanks in advance for any help

Don

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you had a safety switch go south on you, I would start by checking the seat switch.

3. DoninVa

DoninVa LawnSite Member

is there a way to check these without a meter? maybe jumping them? I am trying to avoid the costs of having the dealer come get it, have a 2 week turnaround, and delivering it back to the house all for a $30.00 switch.

thanks again

Don

4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Jump a switch will work.
    Also a 12V test light. Place leads on either side of the switch. IF the switch is open, the bulb will light when V is applied. (the TL "completes" the circuit and thus lights up)