Exmark Spindle

herler

LawnSite Fanatic
Not sure what you're after with that question, I've never had one crap out on my Toros but you don't want to bang on them with a steel hammer either, that's for sure. Like if you're having trouble getting it off, but in terms of day to day use I have spindles 10 years old still going strong, just have to replace the bearings in them every once in a bit.

OP
L

laman

LawnSite Senior Member
I have 2 that have cracked. Don't remember hitting any thing. Mower started cutting grass terrible. I have them apart waiting for parts. Mower is 8 years old.

slowleak1

LawnSite Senior Member
Generally the housing shouldnt be load bearing, it just holds the bearing sets and actual spindle. Might have lost a bearing and had it get hot and crack or something.

tundraman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Exact reason I got the Toro over the Exmark. The Exmark has non grease-able aluminum spindles while the Toro has massive cast iron greasable ones.

slowleak1

LawnSite Senior Member
Exact reason I got the Toro over the Exmark. The Exmark has non grease-able aluminum spindles while the Toro has massive cast iron greasable ones.

2 completely different concepts though. The aluminum ones dont need grease because it has 2 sealed bearings. Its simply a hollow body that holds the spindle bearings in place. On the toros the shaft rides on tapered greasable bearings which is why you HAVE to grease it. If I lose a bearing, I pop it out and put a new $5 bearing in place. You lose a bearing, and its $50 once its all said and done. Personally, I prefer sealed bearings, since you dont have to mess wih races and packing bearings and all that fun stuff.

whiffyspark

LawnSite Fanatic
2 completely different concepts though. The aluminum ones dont need grease because it has 2 sealed bearings. Its simply a hollow body that holds the spindle bearings in place. On the toros the shaft rides on tapered greasable bearings which is why you HAVE to grease it. If I lose a bearing, I pop it out and put a new $5 bearing in place. You lose a bearing, and its $50 once its all said and done. Personally, I prefer sealed bearings, since you dont have to mess wih races and packing bearings and all that fun stuff.

Well said. I'm a sealed fan as well
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
L

laman

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a triton deck. I couldn't find triton spindles. I ordered two spindle housings to fix it back. I wish the exmark dealers in my area would have a better selection of parts...

tundraman

LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the reason Exmark uses them because operators don't maintain their equipment. As a horse farmer I have over 50 grease points on my equipment. What is 3 more. The deck on my Toro 6000 is heavier duty than the Exmark's too, other than that same mower.

Top Forums