Lawn Care Forum banner

Exmark Spindle

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  parker_horn 
#1 ·
I am curious. How strong are exmark spindle housings. I notice they are made out of aluminum.

#2 ·
Not sure what you're after with that question, I've never had one crap out on my Toros but you don't want to bang on them with a steel hammer either, that's for sure. Like if you're having trouble getting it off, but in terms of day to day use I have spindles 10 years old still going strong, just have to replace the bearings in them every once in a bit.

#6 ·
Exact reason I got the Toro over the Exmark. The Exmark has non grease-able aluminum spindles while the Toro has massive cast iron greasable ones.
2 completely different concepts though. The aluminum ones dont need grease because it has 2 sealed bearings. Its simply a hollow body that holds the spindle bearings in place. On the toros the shaft rides on tapered greasable bearings which is why you HAVE to grease it. If I lose a bearing, I pop it out and put a new $5 bearing in place. You lose a bearing, and its $50 once its all said and done. Personally, I prefer sealed bearings, since you dont have to mess wih races and packing bearings and all that fun stuff.

#7 ·
2 completely different concepts though. The aluminum ones dont need grease because it has 2 sealed bearings. Its simply a hollow body that holds the spindle bearings in place. On the toros the shaft rides on tapered greasable bearings which is why you HAVE to grease it. If I lose a bearing, I pop it out and put a new $5 bearing in place. You lose a bearing, and its $50 once its all said and done. Personally, I prefer sealed bearings, since you dont have to mess wih races and packing bearings and all that fun stuff.
Well said. I'm a sealed fan as well
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
This is the reason Exmark uses them because operators don't maintain their equipment. As a horse farmer I have over 50 grease points on my equipment. What is 3 more. The deck on my Toro 6000 is heavier duty than the Exmark's too, other than that same mower.

#14 · (Edited)
No, it has been my experience all moving parts wear and at some point require replacement.
No matter the grease, even engines running full synthetic their whole life there comes a time when they just can't anymore... It's the same thing with everything that must move, the steel wears even with synthetic grease, albeit slowly.

So I have always ran Toro Wb's and they've all had the sealed bearing.
You kind of notice when they start howling, also there's play in the blade bolt you can see through the holes in the cover... That's when you take them apart, put 2 new bearings in, reassemble and gtg...
With some practice we're talking $10 and 45 minutes a spindle.

Mine do have zerks but I have ZTR's where the grease points only need a shot maybe once a year...
The Toros are needing it every 8 hours...

That grease has got to be going somewhere...
I'm sure it's not good for the planet.

I tell you thou, far more than the bearings are those bushings for like belt tensioners and certain pulley tensioners, those things wear the metal and once that's worn we're in a world of trouble and it doesn't matter how often I grease them.

#15 ·
Idler arm in 2005 Dixon Kodiak went bad. Mickey-moused with thick heavy duty washers. Dixon bought by Husqvarna 2008, Dixon discontinued in 2013, parts are now ghosts. Replaced bearings in all last fall. Not exactly "fun". No offense to the planet, I want to grease, and grease alot and often.
And go full synthetic. I guess I'm just going to have to fully part this Dixon when the wrong part goes bad.
Hopefully when the cost of new ztr's goes down!
Frankly, go look up the most expensive Hustler, Scag, Ferris, etc. The ALL offer grease zerks, they are almost all cast iron vs aluminum.
Now go look at the cheap ones. I am not trying to get in a fight with you. If you want to go sealed aluminum and pull em & replace, fine by me.
BUT---be very careful the low end Hydro Gears you get in these machines.

For the most, I am with you sidemouse. I see where you're coming from. Good post and response.

If the Dixon dies tomorrow, currently, its an 8600 Toro 2000 vs a 12550 Scag Tiger cat. Few years from retirement, so it'd be the toro for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.