Lawn Care Forum banner

Exmark spreader sprayer

10K views 45 replies 9 participants last post by  lawn king 
#1 ·
I know there are topics on this machine, but I wanted to provide my 2 cents on it.

First off, I bought this back in December of last year because I needed a tax write off and to have time get to know the in’s and out’s.

I have only used a Permagreen Centri and both the Groundlogic pathfinder and XC previously.

First off, the Exmark is longer then the above mentioned machines. And because of the longer length, it does take some time to get used to the spray pattern.

Ironically the steering was, at least for me, very easy to grasp. There were some complaints on here regarding it being somewhat awkward and confusing.

The biggest issue I had was to remember to turn on the pump and spreader switches; push buttons really. The ground logics have neither just open and close the hopper gate.

The other complaint I was hearing was filling the gas tank. Well you can’t get a 5 gallon can to fit under the steering column, but a 2 1/2 gallon can and a funnel work just fine. You could also use a battery powered hand pump.

The best things I like are the variable speed for the impeller and the spray wand. Since this machine is hydraulic and not belt driven, the impeller speed is constant. And you don’t have to stop, shift lever to neutral and use a strap to hold the throttle wide open if you need to get off the ground logic to use the spray wand if you are unable to spray while on the machine. With the exmark, just make sure the switch is on for the spray wand-this in addition to the spray pump and go. BTW, this is an option on the GL.

I like the fact that this machine has jet agitation, so WP’s and EG’s are a breeze to use and work with. The stock nozzles put out approximately 1/2 gallon per 1000 square feet...ideal for me.

I only have about 30 hours on the unit, as I was using the ground logic most of the time. The exmark was used on more wide open and larger lawns until I felt comfortable using it. I still have and use the GL and keep it in the trailer on a daily basis for smaller lawns. It also allows me to keep a separate machine for other liquid applications and not have to drain the tank and fill up with a different product.

Because this machine is much more intricate than the GL, I’m sure it will be harder to work on. This is not a complaint, but more of an observation and assumption...time will tell.

Overall I am very happy with the unit. Based on previous years on the GL, I figure I should have about 300 hours by years end and can give an accurate opinion and review at that time

See less See more
#3 ·
Interesting. When I calibrated it, my time to cover 1000 square feet was 30 seconds. Did this 3 times. When I measured the output, each tip measured 30 oz., so just a tick under 1/2 gallon per 1000. Your saying that I should be getting about 21-22oz from each tip. I’ll do a recheck.

Thanks

#6 ·
Yes.

Follow up on this machine...

Well I am now at 200 hours and all is good. I posted in another thread about the starter making a loud noise when engaging. I did get it replaced but no difference. Apparently this is normal for the Briggs engine and it starts fine. I also had to have the throttle cable replaced as it was sliding off of high speed when running. No other issues.

As my season comes to an end, I have been very pleased with this machine and, if needed, would buy another without hesitation. This machine fits my business structure well. I do approximately 2 million square feet per round, so I don’t need the biggest and fastest units out there, just a dependable one.

#10 ·
The other big reason I like the X Mark is it is rear wheel drive where is the ground logic/Permagreen is front wheel drive. With the X Mark, when you stop you can spray with the hand wand not having to shift in neutral strap the throttle cable in high rpm to walk off the machine to spray a couple things, just makes life so much easier

#11 ·
Gas the engine should be a Kohler. It does start weird. For sure. I use brown tips spraying at 30 psi. I get just under two acres of spray per fill. I use the toro version. Atm this is the best rackable machine out there till the stinger comes out. I have over a thousand hours on these machines. My biggest issue with the toro was the pin that holds the impeller on the machine. I replaced with a cotter pin works like a charm. In the late spring I vacuum the machine out daily because I use quite a bit of fertilizers with iron. I wash and WD-40 the machine daily till the late fall. Then I do it every other day. After two years you will need new tires. You will need a new impeller every year. Besides that the machine is the best rackable machine out there.

#15 ·
Yea, Mine has the kohler. Not sure why I thought it was a briggs.

I have the white tips at 40 psi. I just go slower. I also don’t broadcast all the time, just spot treat mostly.

When I calibrate, I am at 30 seconds per thousand and getting approximately 31 oz from each tip.

No issues with the pin holding the impeller yet. I also wash down the machine daily

#16 ·
Yea, Mine has the kohler. Not sure why I thought it was a briggs.

I have the white tips at 40 psi. I just go slower. I also don't broadcast all the time, just spot treat mostly.

When I calibrate, I am at 30 seconds per thousand and getting approximately 31 oz from each tip.

No issues with the pin holding the impeller yet. I also wash down the machine daily
Might be a different design with the toro. The clip pin was a pain

#20 ·
Ever sprayed prodiamine wdg out of the exmark?

So gas I like the simplicity look of the GL and do not plan on using the machine "so much" for spraying. Mainly for 2 granular apps per year. Would that change your mind on selection?
I've sprayed a lot of prodiamine out of an Exmark at 3k per, works great.

The GL machines are decent but they are rougher and don't run on slopes as well. The trim stop for the hopper on the Exmark is incredibly useful on smaller properties and tight spots too. I'd only consider one over an Ex/Toro if everything I did was flat, large, and granular.

#32 ·
I never expierenced a problem on my XC pathfinder during the 6years I had it, had around 1500 hours when I sold it last January. They have the peerless trany, so the are pretty tough.

If you “ease” the throttle instead of flooring it at the start, you should not have any issues, just normal wear and tear. Having said that, heavy loads and going up hills where you put a lot of strain on the tranny daily will shortened the life of the gears, but that is with anything that is getting stresses constantly

#38 ·
Grass
Any thoughts on deciding between the pathfinder and the pathfinder XC? I'm leaning the bigger one (XC) but if the smaller one is way more nimbler then I might go that route. Hey!!! Thanks for all your help
Square footage of your lawns will give you your answer. The XC is nimble enough to use on small lawns, although it is top heavy on hills when fully loaded, just be aware of that.

You can't really go wrong with either one. The XC isn't all that bigger than the pathfinder. If you feel that there is going to be the possibility that you will be doing larger lawns in the near future, then go with the XC.

Reactions: hort101
#35 ·
Be prepared with the GL Pathfinder...if you put hours on it, you will wear out the kick shift burrs in the column and will have to rebuild it or potentially go to a new tranny if it gets too worn. Just plan on it.
Surprised to hear you say anything bad about a machine you own.

Yes, the tranys will be kicked to the point where the bolt strips or damages the gear shift in the tranny. We had 8 or 9 at one time and they all did that as well as about half of them cracked the frame just under the engine. These ground logic machines are not made to take any significant usage.

#43 ·
Granular you will have to play with. Too many variables. Practice, practice, practice several times

As far as the liquid, the single nozzle can spray about 8-9 feet wide, the spray boom around 6 feet. Time yourself how long it takes to cover 1000ft2. Take that time and and see how many OZ you get when filling up a container. You should do that 3 times to get an average

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.