Exmark Staris - how good is it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by PatrickLawn, May 15, 2019.

1. PatrickLawn

PatrickLawn LawnSite Member

I'm looking at purchasing a 48 or 52 stander. Not many reviews out there yet on the new Staris. Considering Exmark, Ferris, & Scag (no Wright dealer near me). Can anyone provide some input on the Staris?

Thanks.

2. acecut

acecut LawnSite Member

This company has a video on youtube of the Exmark Staris,
    Brian's Lawn Maintenance

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

On some FB pages there have been some comments about early production issues, though nothing serious. Many, many positive reviews also.

Cam15 likes this.
  4. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested to know as well. I have been very happy with the Scag V Ride so far.

5. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I picked up a Staris S 48 with a kawi and have a few hours on it now. When running it you pretty much are forced to lean on the pad on it. Its comfortable and doesn't seem to hurt these old bones. All the hydraulic lines a hard piped so no flexible rubber hydraulic lines. I don;t have a mulching kit installed yet and was trying to mulch some leaves and they did not mulch at all. This is my first ztr so it took a little time getting used to the hydro's. The speed control has a bar that uses a allen wrench to adjust it. I had the dealer set it at about 70% while I get the hang of it. So with it adjusted back you can't get full speed out of it for transport. I will probably end up replacing the allen bolt with a bolt with handles welded to it so I can adjust it on the fly. The S series don't have anti-scalp wheels on the 48" and 52" models. Oh yeah there's two fuel tanks and the dealer said if one goes dry it won't run.

6. NormP

NormP LawnSite Member

I rode one around the dealer parking lot today and will probably take a trailer back this weekend to pick it up for a few days' demo. Dealer told me same thing as you--must have fuel in both tanks.

There's a rather large lawn care company around here that has a location in three different cities; the boss at the shop in the town where I work was absolutely a hard core Lazer Z guy, but as soon as he demo'ed the Staris last month he ordered several. This is a company that knows its stuff and has a ton of accounts, mostly commercial and horse farms. If they're willing to take a chance on it, I may give it a closer look.

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    PatrickLawn

PatrickLawn LawnSite Member

The leaning forward is my main concern. I haven't ridden one yet, but just by the looks it seems to lean the operator forward far more than any other stander I've seen. Having said that, I have no real world experience on a stander - I currently have Emark Viking and Turf Tracer.

8. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I was on some wet hills today and it held them pretty good and was comfortable. Going down hill you really are leaning hard on the pad. I also have never run a stander so I have no comparison.

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  9. Dave M.O.W Landscaping

Dave M.O.W Landscaping LawnSite Member

I just bought the 36" E-series Staris and absolutely love it! A few of my customers have noticed the difference in their backyard cuts and have given positive feedback on how they like it better. I was using an old Viking, probably from the 80's or 90's, lol . I have a pretty steep ramp on my trailer and the weight is proportioned so well that it doesn't tip forward or wheelie. The only thing I don't like is the way you have to adjust the height. Holding the deck up with a handle and trying to pull a cotter pin out to put it back in. Who has time for that B's? Should have been a foot lever on the standing platform, something like the laser Z.

Cam15 likes this.
  10. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone seen the 44. Can’t get them here.