Exmark Staris Rumors

Helger Services

LawnSite Member
Has anyone heard the rumors of the Exmark Staris stand-on mower being silently phased out of production due to poor sales? I've heard that Exmark fired the designer/engineer who designed the machine and are going to debut a new stand on at the Green Industry Expo in October.

I personally did a week long demo of the Staris and returned it on day three because I hated the entire machine from overall design, controls, operator comfort, safeties and cut quality. The dealer then asked me if I liked the Staris and would I be trading in my Vantage for the Staris and I laughed in their face.

I've run Exmark for the last 20 years and the Staris has been the worst mower they've debuted in a long time in my opinion. Anyone else heard these rumors or have experience with the Staris?

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
So I have a 48" staris and have been pretty happy with it, over 400 hpurs on it. I like the controls, ergonomics and balance of it. The QOC is something I chase every day and I think my problems are with the short blades on the 48". I like how all the hydraulic line are solid and not rubber. I know they are not selling well around here and someone with some good negotiating skills could get one for a good price.
My guess is the cover will be redesigned so it doesn't look like something from the original BattleStar Galatica series and if they can get the platform you stand on to fold up completely so it can be used better as a walk behind that B nice.

Church2224

LawnSite Senior Member
I have seen and used the new prototype in person. A company in our area is demoing them to get the kinks out of the system and my dealer had one in the back the other day when I went to pick up a turf tracer

It basically looks like a red Wright stander x. Awesome machine for what it is.

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
I have seen and used the new prototype in person. A company in our area is demoing them to get the kinks out of the system and my dealer had one in the back the other day when I went to pick up a turf tracer

Any pics??

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member

I also heard this, I’m on the demo list They don’t have plans at this time to do the 36”

SS Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
It's funny that Exmark would let the designer/engineer run through the whole process of a bad design all the way down to the production and sales of the machine before saying, wait your fired. Seems like the designer/engineers' boss needs to be fired as well.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
If the new model is a complete redesign then I would look for a different position for mounting the hydro pumps. Now they are mounted to the top of the motor and removing the motor shroud to clean out the cylinders is not a simple operation for routine maintanance. Any one know of any other mowers mounting the pumps this way? I wonder if the engines are even designed for this?

tdipaul

LawnSite Senior Member
It doesn't sound right placing blame on the Engineer. The marketing dept is supposed to do research and find out what the market wants.