Exmark Staris Rumors

milo

LawnSite Bronze Member
Has anyone heard the rumors of the Exmark Staris stand-on mower being silently phased out of production due to poor sales? I've heard that Exmark fired the designer/engineer who designed the machine and are going to debut a new stand on at the Green Industry Expo in October.

I personally did a week long demo of the Staris and returned it on day three because I hated the entire machine from overall design, controls, operator comfort, safeties and cut quality. The dealer then asked me if I liked the Staris and would I be trading in my Vantage for the Staris and I laughed in their face.

I've run Exmark for the last 20 years and the Staris has been the worst mower they've debuted in a long time in my opinion. Anyone else heard these rumors or have experience with the Staris?
my dealer that sells almost every brand said to never buy one and Exmark DID fire the engineer that designed it. He worked there 20 years. He said they have like 6 flaws that are like recalls and they are just bad mowers. He said buy the grandstand or v ride if want a stander. I have been dealing with this dealer for over 20 years and I never heard him go off on how bad a product is.

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
It doesn't sound right placing blame on the Engineer. The marketing dept is supposed to do research and find out what the market wants.
Unfortunately that's how the corporate world works. When the company culture doesn't truly allow 'mistakes', it becomes cut throat and they look for scapegoats.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
If anyone at Exmark cares about their customer experiance please contact me. I'd like to know why I should ever by another Exmark product again. I have stated I'm very happy with my Staris but if its going to be dropped and known as one of the biggest mistakes a manufacture has made recently my Staris will be absolutely worthless. I paid $10,000 for this machine and with 400 hours I wont be able to sell it for $4000 after the product line is dropped and becomes a joke.

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
If anyone at Exmark cares about their customer experiance please contact me. I'd like to know why I should ever by another Exmark product again. I have stated I'm very happy with my Staris but if its going to be dropped and known as one of the biggest mistakes a manufacture has made recently my Staris will be absolutely worthless. I paid $10,000 for this machine and with 400 hours I wont be able to sell it for $4000 after the product line is dropped and becomes a joke.
your worried about the wrong thing. Never buy a mower thinking your going to sell it for X. You buy it with the plan of running it 80% though it’s life expectancy, and sell it for $2000-3000. The guys buying$2000 mowers will not care.

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
Staris isn’t that new. It’s a few years old now. Manufacturers switch product lines every 4-6 years. Some times it minor changes. Sometimes it’s major changes. Ford switched their body style in 5 years.