Exmark Staris Rumors

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Nope. A z2 will hang a slope as well or better than the GS. The only reason they offered behind the wheel was patent. .

None comes close to Walk however and I got deal w/many municipal drainage ditches and slopes and soft turf so Walks for me.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
If you recall the very early marketing for GS when first came out, eXmark pushed the “walk” feature allot. Not so much in subsequent years.

milo

LawnSite Bronze Member
I can buy used 2019 staris's all day with 700 to 1000 hours by me for $3500 to $4500. For a 2 year old mower that is cheap. That is when I asked my dealer about them and he went off. 1 guy had one by me and it caught on fire with only like 20 hours on it due to grass on the muffler and that's because the muffler is right next to the discharge chute lol. He got the fire out but it had all the paint off the frame and hood by the muffler. He sold it because it freaked him out.
All I know is they are not being made anymore and must be very bad if they were pulled in 2 years. Most things that have some poor designs they just change a few things and all good but these things seem to be s#!t on wheels

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
the 26 Metro didnt last much longer than 2 yrs either.

Toro uses eXmark as a testing ground for a lot of new equip before it gets the Toro badge. Case in point the next-gen 21" push mowers. After 25 yrs they redesigned the 21" Prolines and eXmark got the Gen 2 first. It sucked at a few things, and 2 years later Toro brought out a slightly redesigned version which improved all the eXmark flaws and badged it Toro only. eXmark is still stuck w/the original crappy gen 2 first attempt. This happened w/a few other mowers as well. eXmark is Toro's testing brand.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
the 26 Metro didnt last much longer than 2 yrs either.

Toro uses eXmark as a testing ground for a lot of new equip before it gets the Toro badge. Case in point the next-gen 21" push mowers. After 25 yrs they redesigned the 21" Prolines and eXmark got the Gen 2 first. It sucked at a few things, and 2 years later Toro brought out a slightly redesigned version which improved all the eXmark flaws and badged it Toro only. eXmark is still stuck w/the original crappy gen 2 first attempt. This happened w/a few other mowers as well. eXmark is Toro's testing brand.
Interesting.

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
Nope. A z2 will hang a slope as well or better than the GS. The only reason they offered behind the wheel was patent. .

None comes close to Walk however and I got deal w/many municipal drainage ditches and slopes and soft turf so Walks for me.
I smack my head as you miss the concept completely.

1st, I don’t care how the rear plat form was developed or that it may have been developed because of a pattern issue. The fact is that it did get developed in the way that it did, and the machine came away with certain attributes which attract a certain percentage of the market. It honestly doesn’t matter what you or I think if those things are good or bad, there will simply be a certain percentage of buyers that like it. When they made the drastic change that they did, those buyers didn’t go along for the ride.

I can list a bunch of different things from the Wright to the exmark vantage. Not just hill side.

we allowed 20 of our guys to test it for 2 weeks, we also had our managers and mechanics look at it and give input.

the main items that we got back from them; 1. was that they liked ride and room on the plat form of the vantage, the bigger guys found the Wright constricting. 2. They felt they could bail off safer. 3. Our guys felt more control, specifically stopping facing down hill on the GS/vantage. That’s obviously open for debate but we had 20 operators on it and most reported that.

related to your hillside comment. There are too many variables to say one way or another. The GS does do wheelies way easy. Which is bad while facing uphill but while facing down hill it means more traction is given to the drive tires. The Wright doesn’t do that, so less traction while facing down hill. You can do math to figure out that much. You can’t over come physics. But to aid further, the operator can just hang his big butt further off the rear or to a given side to enhance its ability.

Now you could still be right, it could just be my guys perception in how they operate. But that doesn’t change the fact that they liked how the GS operated over the Wright.

exmark created the vantage. Marketed and attracted buys who liked it (good or bad) and then completely switched to a different design, thus throwing all those users aside.

they hung themselfs out to dry, making a unit that was more like a Wright or scag. They attempted to enter a world selling a product that Wright had many many years to perfect. They should have just stayed with the vantage as a different alternative.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
They didn’t because most people who buy Standers over Walks buy them for their ultra compact design. GS “benefits” were pure marketing. Their original design was driven by patent limitations.

Wright copied eXnarks ECS patent as soon as that was up but hardly as big a deal as the Stander layout.

Last edited:
OP
H

Helger Services

LawnSite Member
All these replies lead to one thing. The Vantage was and is still superior to the Staris that Exmark was stupid to get rid of it. Toro still uses the Vantage platform because it works.

Our year one Vantage (2010) has only had to have general maintenance and so far its lasted 2300 hrs

Attachments

OP
H

Helger Services

LawnSite Member
I have seen and used the new prototype in person. A company in our area is demoing them to get the kinks out of the system and my dealer had one in the back the other day when I went to pick up a turf tracer

It basically looks like a red Wright stander x. Awesome machine for what it is.
Personally I dislike Wright because the cut quality isn't to my liking and yellow ain't my color but if what you say is true about the prototype I only hope the fuel tank is center mounted like the Vantage or GrandStand.

It's my own personal OCD that I don't like a single side mounted fuel tanks. And unlike some others here, I like the folding platform and do use it a walk behind if going up steep hills.

OP
H

Helger Services

LawnSite Member
My son made this for this topic
IMG_6971.JPG