Exmark/Toro spreader sprayer transaxle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by That Guy Gary, Oct 11, 2018.

1. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

It's made my Tuff Torq but I can't find a tag on it to ID, does anyone know what model it is?

If I post pics is anyone familiar enough with Tuff Torq to ID it?

I need to change the fluid but I don't know anything about their products.

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Tuff Torq has a website, prolly can match it up there.
    Toro and Exmark both have good support sites. Should be able to find specs and info there, no?

Breezmeister and Walker56 like this.
  3. That Guy Gary

They are pretty good about providing documentation about mowers and such but they are extremely tight lipped about the components used for their ride on spreader/sprayer.

Still looking, Sears and Kmart suggest it's a resi model K58 but no pics.

https://www.sears.com/toro-126-2814-transaxle-k58/p-SPM10986519808

4. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Bronze Member

5. That Guy Gary

Thanks. The problem I'm having is I can't locate a serial # tag anywhere on the unit.

The input shaft on this model is horizontal instead of vertical. Crank from a horizontal shaft engine is bolted directly to it. Every one I've looked at so far has a vertical belt driven pump.

I don't know if it's just one of those models rotated, or if that would even work.

6. Walker56

Call Tuff Torque at 866-572-3441. I am sure they can assist you in determining what unit you have.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  7. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

They will recommend that you follow the equipment's manufactures for service info.
    Toro Hypoil or Mobil 1 15-50
    Mdl should be a K58R.
    There is no oil change interval for that unit, that I am aware of.
    There is no service manual available from Toro that I am aware of.

This is a perfect example of "Planned Obsolesces"
    But we all know that is a myth. Just ask ANY manufacturer.

If you drain the system, without knowing how to vent it, you might get it so air bound it'll never work.

That Guy Gary and Walker56 like this.
  8. Walker56

Tech paper on the K58 oil checking/adding. As Ricky86 posted, seems like a lubed for life transaxle

Attached Files:

That Guy Gary likes this.
  9. That Guy Gary

Thanks guys.

I've already had to refill the transaxle once after some mono fishing line worked it's way under an axle seal and it drained out. I'm not too worried about being able to do it again.

That seal has a very minor leak again, and the fluid smells burnt. Man, this is going to be a chore if I have to pull the unit to do it, but oh well. It is what it is.

I really like the unit but Exmark is losing my support quick.

Residential grade transaxle in a commercial unit, which they'll gladly sell you a replacement for at twice the cost of what a Tuff Torq dealer charges from what I see online.

The retail cost of the components only add up to a few thousand.

Breezmeister likes this.
  10. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

It’s not exactly residential unit. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a Parker either. They have made a few changes inside, or so I ‘ve been told. I’ve had good luck with tuff toro that are used on the new Grandstands.
    Only failure I’ve seen were broken axles that broke inside. All of them were repaired under warranty, so you can bet you azz they will fix that REAL quick. Those can be serviced. As I said, they, and no other mower company want theses things to last forever. NONE. Anyone one who thinks they do or thinks “My brand it best” is a gullible fool.

Walker56 likes this.