• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Exmark Turf Tracer 36 vs JD WH36A

LawnCATS

LawnSite Member
Looking at a 36" walk behind. Current used options that seem to be in good shape are a JD WH36A with about 230 hours and an Exmark Turf Tracer with approximately 500-600 hours. The exmark is $2100 and the JD is about $2900. Do you thinkk the exmark is a viable option or a good deal or the better value over the jd? Both seem solid. The JD is a 2016 model and the Exmark is a 2013 model. Any opinions on cut quality or the controls? I think everyone has copied the exmark controls (ECS) so they must be the best thing going. The exmark does not have an hour meter so I can't say for sure on hours, just best guess of the owner. I'd appreciate any thoughts on these. Thank you.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Senior Member
Can't speak for the JD but the Turf Tracers are excellent machines. They give a great cut, are very dependable and hold their value. Still running my 2002 48 inch and it's every bit of the machine it was new.

OP
L

LawnCATS

LawnSite Member
Can't speak for the JD but the Turf Tracers are excellent machines. They give a great cut, are very dependable and hold their value. Still running my 2002 48 inch and it's every bit of the machine it was new.
That's good to know. I was looking at a 2006 48 inch with probably half as many hours, but wasn't sure of it because of the age. With all things being the same, would you go for a newer 2013 (36) or an older 2006 (48)? Gates aren't a huge issue and most properties are 18,000 SF or smaller.

Mikeorl

LawnSite Member
I have a JD WH36A. bought it used, low hours (possible homeowner for previous owner never could find out). bought it from the JD dealer. its a money maker for me and my primary front line mower. I love it. I looked at the Exmark as well, but I have a existing relationship with the JD dealer so that is what convinced me to go with the JD WH36a.

OP
L

LawnCATS

LawnSite Member
I have a JD WH36A. bought it used, low hours (possible homeowner for previous owner never could find out). bought it from the JD dealer. its a money maker for me and my primary front line mower. I love it. I looked at the Exmark as well, but I have a existing relationship with the JD dealer so that is what convinced me to go with the JD WH36a.
Thank you. Sounds like either is a good option. I can get the exmark about $800 cheaper but the hours are more. Have to think if the JD is worth more for basically 1/3 of the hours.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Senior Member
That's good to know. I was looking at a 2006 48 inch with probably half as many hours, but wasn't sure of it because of the age. With all things being the same, would you go for a newer 2013 (36) or an older 2006 (48)? Gates aren't a huge issue and most properties are 18,000 SF or smaller.
You can mow pretty small areas with the 48 and fit most places on a residential lawn and trim pretty closely with it, leaving little string trimming. Very maneuverable and I run a Bull Rider fixed hitch two- wheeled castering sulky behind it most of the time. I wouldn't worry about the age. Exmark is excellent for parts. I did have to order a complete assembly for my deck idler instead of being able to buy the parts to rebuild it. No big deal. Such a trouble free machine. Pain in the ass to constantly grease the front casters and replace the bushings is my only complaint after running it for 19 seasons. And we'll, the hydro drive belt is a pain too. But I think I've only changed mine once. I had over 2600 hours on it before my tiny tach hour meter died. Probably 3,000 hours now and the 17 Kawi needs oil often but still powering it well.

OP
L

LawnCATS

LawnSite Member
You can mow pretty small areas with the 48 and fit most places on a residential lawn and trim pretty closely with it, leaving little string trimming. Very maneuverable and I run a Bull Rider fixed hitch two- wheeled castering sulky behind it most of the time. I wouldn't worry about the age. Exmark is excellent for parts. I did have to order a complete assembly for my deck idler instead of being able to buy the parts to rebuild it. No big deal. Such a trouble free machine. Pain in the ass to constantly grease the front casters and replace the bushings is my only complaint after running it for 19 seasons. And we'll, the hydro drive belt is a pain too. But I think I've only changed mine once. I had over 2600 hours on it before my tiny tach hour meter died. Probably 3,000 hours now and the 17 Kawi needs oil often but still powering it well.
Dang, sounds like the exmark is bullet proof!

OP
L

LawnCATS

LawnSite Member
One other issue. Hydro hose chaffing from tire grit is something to watch on all machines with wheel motors. Adjust fitting to move the hoses away from the tires as possible and wrap with electrical tape right next to the tire.
Is it pretty simple to just move the fitting around to help with that? Thanks for mentioning. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

Last edited: