Exmark turf tracer interlock safety switch issue ... no start

alohazabel

LawnSite Member
Been having problems with interlock switches last few days, but have always been able to get her going by jiggling handles, etc.... until today.

Shut off mower to talk to customer in back yard... went to start it back up and crank crank crank no start.

Been messing with it for a while... is there any way to bypass the switches and start it just so I can get it on the trailer and home to the garage?

It's getting embarrassing.

2001 turf tracer 52" kawasaki. There are I think 4 switches on it.. opc, blades, neutral, parking brake

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
You can try unplugging the safety switch to get it back on the trailer

OP
A

alohazabel

LawnSite Member
So I ended up cutting the kill wire from the coils which allowed me to start it and get it home, but I've been trying to figure out which switch, wire, connection, etc. Is bad and I'm stumped.

Can anyone direct me to a step by step way to troubleshoot these switches? I have the wiring diagram but it hasn't helped me much.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Maybe @Breezmeister or @BigFish can point you towards a manual or wiring diagram

Try exmark website too

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
While coil kill wires are cut place a multi meter between the wire and a good ground. If there is a bad switch or bare wire you should have a complete ( closed) circuit. Now try cycling each switch individually and also move wiring around. Hopefully you will find the circuit will open, that’s where the problem is. Good luck.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Can anyone direct me to a step by step way to troubleshoot these switches? I have the wiring diagram but it hasn't helped me much.

Kinda, start by going here and putting your numbers in, getting the parts and owner's manual. The wiring diagram should be in one or the other. You will need a test light. Follow the wires back from the battery, to the fuse holder, make sure it is clean, on to the key switch, make sure you have power going in and out where it should. on to the pto switch, same thing.

What I do is print out a diagram and use a red marker to follow back to each switch and rule it out.

An educated guess is that you have a bad key switch or a bad pto switch. But test them to rule them out.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Prolly has a kill relay and a safety interlock module. Easy to test the relay...not so with the module. Easy to bypass the module, but ya lose some of the safety features. Not a big deal if yer the only one using it, right ?

OP
A

alohazabel

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting a new safety switch, and using it to replace the switches one at a time.

It ended up being the blade safety switch that was bad.

Got it working. Still a little confused though... the bad switch would allow the mower to start when it was depressed and the coil kill wire was disconnected, but engine would die when I connected kill wire.. but the engine would not start if the "bad" switch wasn't depressed, even with the kill wire disconnected. Weird.

Anyway new safety switch and all is good. Thanks to all for the help.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting a new safety switch, and using it to replace the switches one at a time.

It ended up being the blade safety switch that was bad.

Got it working. Still a little confused though... the bad switch would allow the mower to start when it was depressed and the coil kill wire was disconnected, but engine would die when I connected kill wire.. but the engine would not start if the "bad" switch wasn't depressed, even with the kill wire disconnected. Weird.

Anyway new safety switch and all is good. Thanks to all for the help.
Just a guess but some newer safeties are two part and you can run the mower but not engage the blades