Exmark Turf Tracer OCDC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by mhardin36, Feb 6, 2018.

1. mhardin36

mhardin36 LawnSite Member

Looking for recommendations on an OCDC for my 2017 Tracer 48". Lots of info out there but having trouble deciding.

Should I go with:
    1. Exmark's OCDC
    2. Powerchute
    3. Ez-chute

Or is there something else out there that you would recommend?

Thank you!

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The Exmark ocdc does not open all the way. I use power chutes but they need motors occasionally. Owned an EZ chute but some of the parts wore out.

EZ chute is least expensive but I like the convenience and speed of the power chute.

3. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just spent nearly an hour getting my exmark ocdc adjusted properly. There lots of places to adjust but just not enough travel in the cable. Still cant get the pedal to land where I want it. It requires scraping the edge/side area of the deck frequently and even then doesn't seal up all that wonderful.

Nevertheless I've looked at many and believe the exmark setup is best available. Definitely recommend something that's foot controlled. It ends up being second nature to close off and open where needed. Also great with wafer mulching blades on leaves.

Mhardin what did you end up getting?

sjessen likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    mhardin36

I got the Exmark OCDC. I think the set-up is great mounted above the handles on the ECS System. Great Location and does not interfere with anything.

For the Chute part, the only regret is that it stays perpendicular to the mowing deck when opened all the way up, therefore it chutes grass downwards and doesn't disperse evenly. If it went all the way up like a chute removed it would be the best set up.

zlandman likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    mhardin36

update...only negative still is that the chute does open all the way and blows some grass downwards requiring an extra pass to disperse them better, if theres a better OCDC out there that opens all the way up like a chute removed let me know!

zlandman likes this.
  6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV

We've got the factory Exmark OCDC, EZ-Chute and grass flap. My guys prefer either the EZ-chute or grass flap. I don't care for the factory OCDC as over the years the flap starts getting a permanent curl to it so you have to replace it.

sjessen and zlandman like this.
  7. zlandman

from Ohio

Exmark changed the chute material to a rubbery product. It doesn't curl anymore but its still flimsy and sags pointing downward like @mhardin36 said. I used to make replacement deflectors out of plexiglas for my exmark ocdc and that worked quite well except they were more fragile.
    Boy, if the exmark chute had a little more range of motion it would make a huge difference. I've adjusted it every which way to no avail.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The lack of range of opening on the chute keeps me from purchasing one. Pretty sure Exmark does this for liability reasons.

Wondering if there is a way to mod the ocdc to get it to open 180 degrees.

mhardin36 and zlandman like this.
  9. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Qwikchute on a 52” and a 36” opens all the way up so baggers drop right on. Also opens partially which directs clippings backwards.
    F769E5E2-3CB0-4E09-8B19-18D0BB8B061C.jpeg

zlandman likes this.
  10. zlandman

from Ohio

That's pretty sweet, I may buy one for vride to try it out!