1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Viking 36' or 48" for Hilly Properties

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lee Roy, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Lee Roy

Lee Roy LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying an Exmark Viking 36" or 48". I mow mostly hilly properties. How are these machines for uneven terrain? Any problems with 20 - 25 degree slopes?

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Viking 36" machine. It is the only w/b I've owned, so my base of experience is very limited. I think it does well on slopes, but I cannot give you angles (haven't measured them, and don't want to guess). My machine is very light in the front, so tipping backward can be a problem. That may be an advantage in some circumstances, such as making turns at the top of a slope. I pull a BullRider sulky and the added load of the sulky makes an upward slope a challenge (need to step off and walk).

3. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

and go with a Turf Tracer. More expensive but has a floating deck which is made for hills and is just a better mower overall. Floating is better all-around because if you are cutting too fast with fixed you can scalp the ground on flat but bumpy soil.

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

TTHP all the way, no more fixed deck. When changing height, you will thank a million TTHP. Go hydro, no substitute for hill climbing and mowing.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Lee Roy, go with a floating deck design if you have hilly properties. I have about three and two of them are very "hilly" and I used my 48" Viking on one and it scalped in a few places and the homeowners were not too pleased. I switched to our 36" Metro HP (floating deck) and we have not had any problems since. And if you can swing it get a 36" Turf Tracer HP its well worth it!

6. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

The 38 tthp or the 48 tthp will do what you need. Its your choice based on gates and things.

7. Lee Roy

Lee Roy LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your advise.