Exmark Viking 52in With Kawasaki FV541V sputters and dies

Green Knoll Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
just bought a used 52 inch hydro walk behind. after about an hour of mowing the mower started to die when you turned on the blades or put the speed control above neutral. i know it is not a safety switch because the engine
would just shut off, correct me if im wrong. in this case the motor sounds almost as if it is being choked out and it starts to die. you can easily just put it into neutral and/or shut the blades off and it runs perfect and idles like a charm not a single sputter. thats the weird part. with no blades and it in neutral it runs perfectly. any questions please let me know and i will let you know so you can try to help me. thanks for any help in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
I vote for the coil too. I had the same problem earlier this year. I swore it had to be a carb item but was the coil. But, you may also try a fuel filter, check for leaks in the fuel lines, check the vent on the gas cap, water and or crap in the sediment bowl. All items above will give you the problem that you have.

OP
G

Green Knoll Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I vote for the coil too. I had the same problem earlier this year. I swore it had to be a carb item but was the coil. But, you may also try a fuel filter, check for leaks in the fuel lines, check the vent on the gas cap, water and or crap in the sediment bowl. All items above will give you the problem that you have.
just had the tank drained and cleaned i also put a new filter and new lines on and dropped the bowl and cleaned that. ill check the plug. makes no sense but i will replace it and see what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
Mine ran fine when engine was cool. It would sit there and idle forever just fine. I put the engine on fast, still ran just fine. As soon as the PTO was turned on after the engine was warm, it would begin to sputter. I finally gave up and took it to the mechanic. I told them what all I had done, including changing the plugs. They knew right off what it was. About 400.00 later, it ran like a new one again.

Top Forums