Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 EXMARK Lazer CT with a 19 hp kawasaki. It went dead yesterday after mowing for 1.5 hours (only has 155 hrs on it). i checked the battery and it is fully charged. the starter solenoid has input power from the battery 12 volts, and 5 volts from the starter switch ( which appears to close the solenoid for the starter to engage). The solenoid only clicks when i turn the key. Any ideas? no power is being sent to the starter. It doesnt make sense to me for the mower to go dead when a starter solenoid went bad.

· Registered
2,695 Posts
I have a 2004 EXMARK Lazer CT with a 19 hp kawasaki. It went dead yesterday after mowing for 1.5 hours (only has 155 hrs on it). i checked the battery and it is fully charged. the starter solenoid has input power from the battery 12 volts, and 5 volts from the starter switch ( which appears to close the solenoid for the starter to engage). The solenoid only clicks when i turn the key. Any ideas? no power is being sent to the starter. It doesnt make sense to me for the mower to go dead when a starter solenoid went bad.
my exmark went dead on me the other day and it ended up that the deck belt slipped off and got tangled up with the motor belt. it wouldnt turn over or anything. could be the same thing. worth a look.

· Registered
731 Posts
take the battery out and bring it to the auto parts store ,have them put a load on it to test for amps,it may have 12 volts but if you dont have the amps its worthless.i have an 04 also and have gone through 3 batterys already

· Registered
1,281 Posts
The solenoid only clicks when i turn the key. Any ideas? no power is being sent to the starter.
I hope you don't get offended by this comment, but that clicking only when the key is turened is what happens if you try to start the engine with the PTO engaged. That's not it, I don't suppose.

· Registered
2,319 Posts
Fuses and saftey switches (seat, brake, handle bars etc.) Maybe jump 12 volt right to the starter. Ignition switches can act up too.

· Registered
142 Posts
I bypassed all my safetys one by one as they all eventually went bad due to rain and weather I assume. I dont say thats what you need to do but usually they are the culpret. Fuses do get blown too mine are right next to the battery under the seat. There are also 2 relays behind the seat and pumps. If the battery checks out try jumping it to the starter just to see if it does crank. I have had ignition switch go bad and have bought a new one before and had it be defective so new dosent mean it works. And in the Fla heat batteries dont last nomatter what machine ya use. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.