• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

exmark Z worth $1100???

bigmikethewizard

LawnSite Member
i dont know the year of the mower, but the info i got was it is an exmark lazer Z 52", 25 horse kohler, 650 hours, and that the mower cut fine up until the deck rotted through and it slipped the belt.
i have a full shop full of welding equipment and i work on equipment for a state run facility so the mechanical and repair end isnt a big deal for me. i just dont know whats what when it comes to prices of certain things.
he also said the frame is rough, im waiting to hear back on exaclty what he meant by that.
the price stated was $1100. decent deal or no??
heres some pics that i had of it. not the best but some of you exmark gurus mite be able to tell me more bout them.

brucec32

LawnSite Platinum Member
From the look of those gas tanks on the mower it's a museum piece. Small front casters indicate it's fairly old as well. I don't recall that design of tank with the narrow opening on anything since 1998 at least. Then again, I could be wrong, as it could be some sort of advantage series or something. Appears to lack foot pedal deck lift, which is also a sign it's not that new. (some guys put 650 hours on in a season)

Muffler might be a replacement. Not many well cared for machines need one of those at 650 hours.

Not sure what's wrong on the deck but unless you plan on using it just at home or to bush-hog keep in mind that proper alignment of the deck, spindles, etc is crucial to avoiding a machine that butchers lawns.

Tires will dry rot at a certain age and become worthless. Maybe $200 in parts to replace those. If these are replacement tires then they're lying about the hours or they already rotted off.

Missing side anti-scalps and axles. Also plan on replacing all belts (mule, deck, etc)

That air filter is almost certainly not OEM, as it was sometime in the early 2000's before they showed up I believe. Could be the 2nd engine or jury rigged onto the old Kohler.

The engine and hydros are expensive to fix or replace. If the engine or a couple of pumps/motors go you're already looking at spending more on them than you paid for the mower. And a machine that someone allowed to rust through the deck hardly seems like it was babied during those 650 hours (which could easily be triple that, as you can unhook that meter or replace it in a few seconds.

With mowers in good shape available for $3500 or so, I don't see the appeal of this other than as a hobby project. The time spent fixing the nagging little things that go wrong on old mowers make saving a little up front seem like a bad move.

Finally, your project machine will be unsellable to all but the most cash-strapped desperate buyers, while a better machine will hold most of its value from here on out if you don't pile on the hours. But assuming it runs and cuts nicely, it's probably worth that price to someone. Just not someone who wants to make a lot of money mowing grass.

Last edited:
OP
B

bigmikethewizard

LawnSite Member
thanks bruce, everything you said makes total sence to me and i wasnt even thinking about he alignment of the blades which is a real good point. i think im going to let this one pass.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
If the hydros are all good, and it ruuns, it's worth every bit of 1100. We've rebuilt mowers in worse shape than that, and they cut like a dream. I have a friend that has 8 (uses 6 of them), and they are ALL nice cutting machines - spindles, motors, belts, tires, etc. all end up getting replaced, anyway.

IRRITECH

LawnSite Senior Member
If the hydros are all good, and it ruuns, it's worth every bit of 1100. We've rebuilt mowers in worse shape than that, and they cut like a dream. I have a friend that has 8 (uses 6 of them), and they are ALL nice cutting machines - spindles, motors, belts, tires, etc. all end up getting replaced, anyway.
Ditto, the engine, and hydros alone are worth that much. Buy it, fix it and you will have a machine that will cut alot of grass for you