Expanding Business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Devin Van Winkle, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Devin Van Winkle

Devin Van Winkle LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I am a new member here. I really like all the stuff I have been reading on here! It looks like there are a few experienced business owners on here that I would like this to reach out to.

I have been mowing as a side hustle for the last 5 years (I am 24). The last year and a half I started a LLC and started taking it to the next level. My full-time job is putting more responsibility on me, so I am not able to get out and finish jobs like I used to.

So my question is, would it be feasible to find 4-5 reliable guys to cover my contracts for me? I especially need help because I was just asked to mow 2 65+ acre complexes starting next year. Each paying out about $100K-$130K before expenses. Start-up costs scare me, and I want to make sure I will be able to treat my employees fairly and right! Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks,
    Devin

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

Reliable guys/gals are out there.
    Finding and keeping them is the hardest part.
    What type of complexes are these?
    Housing, industrial, mowing trimming only?
    You can't just set 4 untrained workers into a large project and tell them how you want it done.
    Either yourself, or a well trained Forman needs to be on-site. Every time. Also with grinding out 130 acres weekly there will be equipment problems. So you will want backups of handhelds for sure. And at least 1 backup mower and a mechanic you can call on in a moments notice.
    If 65 acres gets a few days behind ever, your in for a workout.
    What is your general location?
    Ah, and welcome aboard.

3. Devin Van Winkle

I would do all the training of the employees, luckily these complexes won't be opening for another year so I have some time to get my ducks in a row. These complexes are sport complexes so baseball fields, football fields. I am sure there will be some mulching involved (15-20 yds). But mainly mowing and trimming. I have been a one man operation so I have done all the work to my equipment, I just don't know if I myself can handle taking care of all the equipment. I am in central ohio

4. Mow-Daddy.com

We do 4 parks, and 4 baseball fields also. Not high class fields. Just basic mow trim nice lines etc. Scheduling around practices and games also can get bothersome. Or surprise games randomly show up when your half done with field. Coach's just thought they'd do a couple of pick-up games ?
    Really...

5. Mow-Daddy.com

I do as much repairs as I can also.
    But having a trusted mechanic that will jump right on a downed mower is nice.
    Build a good relationship with them.
    Give him $20 $30 cash tips always.
    You'll be at the front of the line ;)

6. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD/NC

Sounds like you need to start thinking about an exit plan with your full time job.

Someone else just posted a thread about working full time and having employees, check out the responses from that thread. It's much harder than you may think.

Tara Ann likes this.
  7. Devin Van Winkle

Thank you for your help! I will check that out!
    It's just nice having the full-time job for benefit purposes.