1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Expect crabgrass breakthrough in the Northeast.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by phasthound, May 13, 2020.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

JLSLLC and The Green One like this.
  2. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Bronze Member

After last years two month spraypalooza I put down.38 prodiamine at 4.25 bags per acre and didn't start until April 15. I hope that's good enough.

The Green One and zlandman like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    phasthound

Time will tell.

4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Why would you say such a thing. Take it back.

Marine03112, zlandman and gcbailey like this.
  5. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just seeing the first tiny leaf of crabgrass emerge here in Southern RI.
    Several weeks ago daily temps were in the mid-low 40's.
    Since then it has been in the mid-upper 50's and more or less sunny enough to warm soil temps up enough for germination.

Vile weed it is!

6. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

Great. Just finished round 2 today with no additional pre. Preemergent round 1 was applied in the final "optimum " days per GDD Tracker. Hope that helps.

hort101 likes this.
  7. The Green One

The Green One LawnSite Member

Hindline,

At that 0.80 Rate A.I per Acre, you should be fine. If you had applied at .65 ai, and had some late summer very heavy rainfalls, concern would be an option.

Remember that cooler soils also have lower microbial activity, and that is the key player on Prodiamine degradation.

GDD base 50 is far later than any season I recall, and soil temps have remained below 50F at 7am in Central N.J. even as of today.

IF folks went out too early with their Pre and A.I. was low, you should consider a split app, to cover your 6 o'clock for the Nasty crabgrass.

No disrespect of course to Barry's post or the Cornell Expert.

Check your rates and timing people, if you are unsure. Better safe than sorry.

8. OP
    OP
    phasthound

That's good info Green One.

The Green One likes this.
  9. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Gold Member

Well i am glad i am in the south I seen crabgrass back in the first of april but we have had many frost in the last 5 weeks

The Green One and phasthound like this.
  10. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I upped my prodiamine to .42AI at the 225 lb/ac rate. Same this year. Much better results. Prior to last year ,I was using a .37AI prodiamine

zlandman likes this.