• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Expenses %

OP
A

ahilton20

LawnSite Member
Your already maxed out. Cut expenses or raise your prices. Probably both. What else can you do? Solo only has so many hrs available.
Yep . I do plan to raise my prices . I feel like the only way for me to scale is to get a part time employee a few days a week or try and get more profitable accounts . Did you make the decision to stay solo purposely? I do feel like I could manage year in and out by myself, just worried I won’t be able to scale much (income wise) from where I am now.

JFGLN

LawnSite Gold Member
Yep . I do plan to raise my prices . I feel like the only way for me to scale is to get a part time employee a few days a week or try and get more profitable accounts . Did you make the decision to stay solo purposely? I do feel like I could manage year in and out by myself, just worried I won’t be able to scale much (income wise) from where I am now.
I have employees now but I did work solo for many years. If I did it again I would hire employees sooner. That being said, many guys on here are happy being solo and there really is nothing wrong with that. You sound like you might be more ambitious???

Jon@FuelCred

Sponsor
Hey guys,
In my 2nd year of full time landscaping working solo in Maryland 9 months of the year . 90% of my gross income is grass cutting.
I’m wondering what the majority of your guys expense percentage is of your gross income ? I know everyone has different expenses , but in general , what percentage of your gross income is expenses? This is geared toward the smaller companies , either owner operator or 1 crew .
Looking to get an idea if mine are high, low, or average .
Thanks ,
Andrew
We've done extensive business expense benchmarking for the landscaping industry. Check it out here if you want to see how you stack up.

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
Mowing is about 50%, I'm still working on breaking a few things out because I also run one spray truck. Spray is more in the 20% to low 20% range. This is all for 2019. Just filed had an extension. I did have a few larger expenses than normal in 2019. But I did also buy some new equipment in 2020.