1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

experience with exmark navigator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Aaron Cover, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Aaron Cover

Aaron Cover LawnSite Member

what are your thoughts on exmark navigators? thanks i would like to buy one

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

I think it's to heavy for residential work. Walker has better options , more add ons .

3. Aaron Cover

i am thinking of getting one for commercial work. i don't have the budget for a walker either

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

You think the walkers are more$

5. Aaron Cover

i am looking at getting a very used machine not brand new. yes if brand new then probably walker but navigators are what is for sale used around my area

6. Green Living

Green Living LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Got one with 800hrs. It's been very reliable since day one. Enough power for anything you need to cut. On the heavy side though but it is built to work hard. Great for leaf cleanup too. Not as versatile as a walker for sure as your only options are 42in or 48in deck.

7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

If they meet your requirements on deck size and you don't need a utility machine they are decent machines.

The mulching baffles are great. None of our machines with mulch kits ever left a cut equal to our Walkers. A Navi with the baffles in front can look just as pretty, while leaving most of the grass behind, in more conditions than I expected it too.

The PTO belts are a PITA.

The full signal sucks just as much as they do on Walkers, which is too say they break easily. Unlike the Walker we had though, if you keep running it while full the blower housing doesn't get jammed up easily. This is more important if you're going to hand it over to employees.

If you are shopping used and just need a grass cutting machine the Navi's seem built a little better for that purpose. Walkers give you a nice frame for lots of attachments, but if a used one was just cutting grass the whole time the deck is all but welded in place by now.