1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

extended hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawndog, Aug 26, 2000.

1. lawndog

lawndog LawnSite Member

I've just got a new account and its got these 10 ft hedges
    on a steep bank.I need to get one of those hedge trimmers
    that look like there mounted on to a weedeater.Does anyone
    have one of these and how do you like it,pros and cons?
    thanks from lawndog,mow on.

2. J MAN

J MAN LawnSite Member

I just bought an attachment for my echo PAS (Pro Attachment Series)today, but I have not tried it out yet (I will tomorrow). It cost me about $190 with tax (the attachment only). I will let you know how it goes.

3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Got the echo about 2 mths. ago. outher than the weight I love it.

4. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

hey lawndog i have the stihl extended hedge trimmers and i think it will be the best tool in the shed!!
    i have 2 other regular stihl hedge trimmers and i hardly use them any more because the long trimmers are actually easier to handle than the short ones..can go from short bushes to tall without missing a beat you'll love em save a ton of ladder work
    hope this helps

5. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Hi , i have owned my hl75 sthil for about 2 years fixed angle head model. i brought it just before they cam out the
    adjustable head.....boy i wish i had waited....but the tool
    whith the angle head works great ..howbout those lake edges
    this tool is awsome....i even prune 3/4 inch tree limbes and some 1.5 limbs if you use it like a power knife. thick
    under brush gets cut and u donot bend or get stuck by stickers cause you just slice it likebread very veritile tool everyone of us should have one but i would recemend the sthil model with the adjustable head.... A fellow competitor at the moment has yet to be able to afford one and i have made $300. this season alone subing for him just cause i can do those tall bushes qucker.....Enjoy

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 08-26-2000 at 05:24 AM]

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got a Stihl FS-85 trimmer. I have a power scythe head, trimmer head(never used), and I just got the hedge clipper head for it. I used the hedge clipper attachment yesterday for the first time. It cuts beautiful. The hedge was about 9' high and I didn't need a ladder. It does get heavy after a while. The head also is adjustable from 0 to 90 degrees. The power scythe head was $200 and the trimmer head was $151.

7. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

where did you get a fs 85 for that much! my dealer wants $300 for a new one!

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The FS-85 was $285,+ $200 for power scythe,+ $151 for hedge trimmer.

9. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

sorry read it wrong

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can't go wrong with the extended trimmer.Whether you go with a fixed head or adjustable, it's just unbeatable.Like Walker said,I too use this about 99% of the time.It's much better balanced an easier to use.(I have the Stihl w/fixedhead) Even for lower and smaller shrubs, it's ALOT less bendind down. It's nice to be back 3 or 4 feet or so, you have a better perspective and view on what you are doing. It takes a little getting used to,(touchy) but surely a labor saver.