Lawn Care Forum banner

ez trencher = too much work

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Drew Gemma 
#1 ·
I rented an ez-trencher with a bed shaping cutter on saturday for half day.

Did i use it incorrectly?
I tried poulling it backward but couldn't keep it as straight as moving forward.
But when moving forward it fills the groove with dirt! AND!... the wheel follows the blade and packs it down.

Here's a couple pics of the groove before
and after i had to shovel it clean. It didn't really leave as clean a line as i'd hoped for.

And a pic half of the dirt i hauled away.

And one more of the distance.

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle Tree

Property Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire

Plant Sky Window Land lot Building

See less See more
#2 ·
I think they came out ok, I use just an edger then come back with a flat head spead shovel to make the edge a little deeper and clean it up. But that was a pretty big flower bed to edge! I never uesd a bed edger before but I have the same problem with a regular edger.

#3 ·
If you used it going "forward", then yes, you used it incorrectly. You pull it, not push it.

I've rented that one a couple times, and love it because it's so easy to use. And lightweight enough for one person to throw it into the back of a truck.

I didn't remove any dirt when I used it, I just spread the dirt back into the beds. But it looks like you may have had mulch already in the beds? I was installing new mulch, so I just spread the excess dirt and mulched over it.

#5 ·
I own a brown bed edger. One reason is it can cut a straight line. Yes the dirt falls back into the hole. I used a spring rake to rake the dirt out of the trench and into the bed. Sometimes new bed I rake the dirt into a pile and shovel it out.

#6 ·
Never used an EZ-Trench bed-edger but we have a Brown bed edger and it leaves a very nice smooth clean edge. The only time I went forward with it, it fried the main belt so that's a no no. Plus I couldn;t imagine trying to push that 150 pound machine and make a nic stright cut. As long as you don;t force the thing, it make a nice cut. We also try to cut as close as we can to the ege of thebed so there's not much cleanup. The worst is when theres plants a long the edge and the end up having to edge backa little and take the spade to take some sod out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.