F350 with 6.2 V8

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mustang, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Mustang

Mustang LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing a 2015 F350 with the 6.2 V8 with a 9' mason dump bed. I'd like to hear whether this truck has the power to handle the job. We pull a 16' enclosed trailer with our equipment. The truck could be loaded with the usual; soil, sod, stone, etc.. Anyone have this truck and, if so, how is it? Thanks.

2. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Used to have one... I swear that thing would see 9 miles per gallon on a good day. It is definitely weak compared to my diesel, but good truck for the $. If you regularly tow a dump trailer I would not buy one, but for a mowing rig you are fine as long as you don’t overload that bed

oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

It'll do the job. Won't get the best MPG or win any races. What it will do is be cheaper to buy then the diesel equivalent. Both will work just fine for a work truck. Double check the door tag and make sure it is rated for what you plan on hauling. It will have a lower rating to the diesel.

oqueoque and rclawn like this.
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the 6.2 in a f 250 crew short bed a 2018 . I pull a 30 ft trailer close to 10,000 lbs . It pulls great . I have the 6 speed trans . Even on a mountain trip it pulled the grades and was never dogging .

hort101 likes this.
  5. SFL

SFL LawnSite Member

It does well. Definitely not a diesel. But I’ve pulled 20k gross with it. Truck+loaded dump trailer. Struggled up hills but it got the job done.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Let me know when you all find a ford diesel that will keep rubbing without spending time in the shop like it’s a Land Rover anymore
    Ford hasn’t been able to get a diesel right since the 7.3 power stroke was abandoned in 2003.
    And by today’s standards that’s now a lazy power plant

Mdirrigation likes this.
  7. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Do we attach a note to a carrier pigeon in the spring and hope it gets there by the end of summer or do you guys have phones up there now that we can call you?

hort101 and Mdirrigation like this.
  8. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 6.2 in a f350 with a 12 ft flat bed dump and other that mpg I really love the truck. Honestly pulls better than my 7.3 diesel. Mine is geared 4:30 which helps a lot but in my opinion as long as you don’t mind hearing that engine scream when you hit a steep hill it’s got all the power you’ll ever need.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

When the 6.2 is "screaming" you are in the peak horsepower range .

rclawn, sjessen and hort101 like this.
  10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

3500 rpm+ ?