Lawn Care Forum banner

f550 or f350?

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  hosejockey2002 
#1 ·
Hey guys, need some help. I am currently between two vehicles, a 2005 f350 4x4 gas for 26,000, or a 2006 f550 diesel 4x4 with 56,000 miles that comes with a blizzard power plow and tailgate drop spreader for $26,000. which one do you think?

#2 ·
Thats easy. Id get the 550. You are getting more truck and a diesel for the same money. The 6.0 PSD was a great engine is 06-07. The only reason they discontinued it was because of the emissions bs.

#5 ·
What are you going to tow with it?

#6 ·
It depends. What trailer do you have. The gvwr on the f550 is probably 21000 gvw. add your trailer gvw to it and if it is over 26000 pounds you have to have a class a cdl without airbrake. I would go with the f350. Check your gvwr. It is a whole new world when your cdl. Dot numbers, dot health exams at your expence. Think about it. Do your research.

#9 ·
As said it really depends what you need the truck to do. Personally I would always go for the truck the can haul the most, the 550. I've had 350, 450, and 550 and they have all towed fine. The 350 got the best mileage of the three.

The 350 weighed 9700 and can carry 12,000 so you can only carry 2300 pounds. My current 550 weights 9400 and can carry 20,000 so it can carry 10600 pounds. All were regular cab with 11' contractors box or 12' flatbed dump. All were diesels also.

#10 ·
It depends. What trailer do you have. The gvwr on the f550 is probably 21000 gvw. add your trailer gvw to it and if it is over 26000 pounds you have to have a class a cdl without airbrake. I would go with the f350. Check your gvwr. It is a whole new world when your cdl. Dot numbers, dot health exams at your expence. Think about it. Do your research.
only if your trailer is over 10K

#12 ·
#14 ·
Hey Park do they give me a number right way if I sign up? then I can go to my graphic people to get it on my truck or do i have to wait ?
I got mine right when I finished doing the forms online if you mail in the forms then you have to wait.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
Right. If you do it online or in person, you will get it immediately.

#17 ·
I don't know. From the website, it shows PA in green. IIRC, green states had a USDOT number available for intrastate commerce (in state). That would usually mean that your number would end in the abbreviation for your state. Like USDOT 1234567 PA.

#18 ·
I don't know. From the website, it shows PA in green. IIRC, green states had a USDOT number available for intrastate commerce (in state). That would usually mean that your number would end in the abbreviation for your state. Like USDOT 1234567 PA.
Ya I agree thay dont make it easy I have called state cops went to the dmv called a few other people everyone has a Different answer. So until I figure out the correct answer for me. I am going to plead ignorance. I think if your a contractor in pa, which means your a member of the pa contractor list. They should present you what you need to be (legal). just my .02 on this situation. Went out last night and got fire extinguisher and some traffic triangles.

#19 ·
Or you could do the smart thing and just get the usdot number that is free and you won't have to plead anything. Don't mean to sound like a d!ck but every year I listen to someone I meet in the course of doing business that complains twice.

FIRST complaint-Oh man, why do I have to get this dot #, why do I have to put my business name on my truck, thats dumb, its only a 3/4 ton, its the government trying to screw the little guy blah blah blah

SECOND complaint-These cops around here suck, I got $1000 worth of tickets cause I didnt have a dot# and business name on the truck, i had leaky plastic gas cans, but they weren't going anywhere-they were jammed in front of the push mower, I didn't know the brakes had to work, its the cops trying to screw landscapers cause we fly all over town with our overloaded single axle trailers with rakes hanging out the sides and leaves flying out the bed of our trucks....

#20 ·
You should really do the same.

I am pretty sure in PA you have to have a Us dot number if your truck is over 10,001 pounds and you make money with your vehicle. I have been researching this, But Any more info people have is great!
Truck or combination.

only if your trailer is over 10K
They just don't get it do they.

I think I found out you dont need it in state only. From my understanding.
You will of over 10k GCWR/GVWR/GVW.

Or you could do the smart thing and just get the usdot number that is free and you won't have to plead anything.
Just getting the number is pointless if you don't know whether or not you need them. Or if you don't know what you need along with them.

#21 ·
Or you could do the smart thing and just get the usdot number that is free and you won't have to plead anything. Don't mean to sound like a d!ck but every year I listen to someone I meet in the course of doing business that complains twice.

FIRST complaint-Oh man, why do I have to get this dot #, why do I have to put my business name on my truck, thats dumb, its only a 3/4 ton, its the government trying to screw the little guy blah blah blah

SECOND complaint-These cops around here suck, I got $1000 worth of tickets cause I didnt have a dot# and business name on the truck, i had leaky plastic gas cans, but they weren't going anywhere-they were jammed in front of the push mower, I didn't know the brakes had to work, its the cops trying to screw landscapers cause we fly all over town with our overloaded single axle trailers with rakes hanging out the sides and leaves flying out the bed of our trucks....
I dont take what you say as being mean or anything. I was just stating from my point of view I have checked into this through alot of people no one knows the exact law. So If I get pulled over and I need it then I will pay the fine and get what they say. Unless I find out for 100% what I need before that happens.

#22 ·
Both sound like good deals to me. With the additional insurance I would go with the F350, but I like the diesel more overall, but if you do not need the extra capacity of the F550…

In the long run I bet parts that are different will cost much more on the F550. Also, some states tax and reg fees are bases on GVW so that might be a financial effect on you as well.

All the dot stuff is an issue, but I say if you are using it in business, best to be honest and get a commercial ins. Policy and make sure the truck is identified as a business vehicle. I agree with ParkWelding on this one, best just to make it all legal and be ready so you do not have to deal with any cost that can easily be avoided.

#23 ·
the only real differance between the 350 and 550 is the rear suspension and strength of the frame every thing else it really the same just diff. badging on the fender

#24 ·
mule585 said:
the only real differance between the 350 and 550 is the rear suspension and strength of the frame every thing else it really the same just diff. badging on the fender
Don't forget about the rear axle, front suspension and axle (totally different from the 350), tires, wheels, hubs and bearings and brakes. The only things they really share are the cab, engine and transmission. You should actually look closely at both trucks side by side, except for the three aforementioned things EVERYTHING on the 550 is much beefier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.