Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When reading the varies comments my opinion about doing lawn care changes by the minute.

I hear so many great stories about doing lawn care is that a reflection of oneself or the reflection of the industry

Then I hear so many bad stories about doing lawn care is that a reflection of oneself or the reflection of the industry

Not sure what direction to take, I'm looking to net around 40 to 45 thousand dollars a year working in Northeast Ohio with a one man crew. Doesn't sound like a bad goal.

My ideas to the key to success!

Sound Equipment
Practice what you Preach
Treat customers as you would like to be treated
Be organized
When you quote a job look professional

Let me what u think!!!
good,bad, or ugly

·
Banned
4,203 Posts
Do what you enjoy doing rather than what you have to do and it will show in your work.Do the best possible job you can with what you've got and always try to improve upon it.As for the rest of the industry.....Worry about your own business and your own goals.....let them be a reflection of YOU.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
I would say that's a bit extreme. We are talking Northeast Ohio, here. In this region, give us 20 working days a month, times 7 months, and that's 140 working days (average). You would have to be grossing between $500 and $600 a day EVERY day to do this. I don't know of ANY solo operators that do this with a mower - myself included. It just doesn't go for that, around here. Not consistently, like that. If I get 8 - 10 residentials done a day, (1/2 acre or so), I'm doing well. Well, you're only looking at 35-40 bucks apiece for them (again, the going rate). That's $400 tops, gross. Now, take out your expenses,.... Just being a realist about this. I know ALOT of people in this business and network with a great deal of LCO's around here. We are all in it together, and all know the #'s, and they all come out to arbout the same. Well, lunch is over me, so I gotta get going. Anyway, good luck on your new venture, but KNOW the NUMBERS - ALL OF THEM!;)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
110k to 125k with a good helper.
You would be cutting some serious lawns, and putting in some serious hours to gross 125k with only 1 "helper".

As far as the original question, lawn care is like any job. It has it's ups and downs. As John said, after a year you will start to treat people how they treat you. :cool:

·
Banned
787 Posts
johnny g and paponte - you two sound so bitter about customer service. Bad year or what?

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Originally posted by paponte
You would be cutting some serious lawns, and putting in some serious hours to gross 125k with only 1 "helper".
Agreed...and neither one better get sick, want any vacation time, and/or have any truck or mower downtime at all (unless you have 2 or 3 of everything).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ahhh.....42 weeks of mowing where I am! if I'm doing 70k gross solo with 60 accounts and a LOT of free time, I can add a helper and handle 120 lawns would fill the week up. 120cust x $110 adv monthly per cust. =$13,200 a month x 12 months

$158,400/52 weeks = 3046.00 per week year round, plus the extras with all the free time in the winter. Now add overhead....and I really dont feel like going there...

Oh by the way...I do have double the equipment I need, even a spare trailer....just in case.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Originally posted by LAWN APPEAL

My ideas to the key to success!

Sound Equipment
Practice what you Preach
Treat customers as you would like to be treated
Be organized
When you quote a job look professional

Let me what u think!!!
good,bad, or ugly
Those are just the tip of the iceberg, as well as the easiest tasks you will endure.

I sincerely believe, you get out of it only what you are willing to put into it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
T, You are a God, out of that 70 what ball park do you take home. Have about twenty less and will be lucky to take home 26 this year. Don't know too much about Ohio, but the first year if you show a profit things aren't bad. Second year solo should be able to pay the bills. Still working on the next year

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
One comes around here all the time. Huge expectations and a calculator. Your calculator and the lawn business reality never match up.

It will take several years to build up a good client base. Until then, it will be lean times. That is the part that runs most out of this business. Many of us are doing good these days but none of us did it over night. The first 2-5 years can and will be real tough at times.

You need to use your math on your expenses and not on so much speculation. It NEVER works out the way your doing it. Based on your posts so far your in this thinking its fast easy money. Wrong. Don't take on any venture with that type of mentality.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hoss....
my current gross is $66,631.20 that is $5,552.60 a month...YEAR ROUND! First season, and growing every day. And yes...my numbers are very good for a first season, BUT...I'm in a rapidly groing area, have a very knowledgable mentor and I have done alot of research.

Rhett....out of that 70 I take home nothing....not a penny. all profit is turned over into equipment, image, and a company nest egg. I dont plan on pulling any until I have enough cash to buy equipment to stock 3 crews. And staying debt free....the only payment is the truck! everything else was all cash.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.