1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Factory Dump Bed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pllini, Jan 12, 2004.

1. pllini

pllini LawnSite Member
    from MA

I know that this is a bit off topic...

I am considering buying one of those hydraulic scissor lift kits that install under the factory 8 ft bed.

I do some light landscaping (dirt/crushed stones) and some demolition work for remodeling room/apts.

Do you have any experience with these? Recommendations? Are they just junk? Will the factory bed take the abuse?

I appreciate any help.
    :drinkup:

2. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

around me Long island, we can get a dump installed for 2500, everyone i talk to loves them. i am planning on putting one on my 1500(8ft bed).

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think it kinda depends on make and year of the truck. I looked into them but my local hydraulics shop said that over time they could push thru the bottom of the bed. My truck was an '88 Ford F-250. I DO, however know another lawn guy in town that has the same year/make truck as mine and he has a hoist under his bed with 12" to 16" high extentions on his bed. He takes two FULL loads of grass to dump EVERYDAY on average. As far as I know he has had no real problems with his lift OR the bed on his truck.

I know you will get the recomendation on here from many members to look into a dump insert. I wish I would have before I put a flatbed dump on my truck. Would have cost me half as much and if i wanted to get a different truck, no problem, slide it out of one and into another. definately worth the look.

4. pllini

pllini LawnSite Member
    from MA

Thanks for the advise so far.

Btw, I have a 01 GMC 2500HD.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the new truck beds suck they will not take 2 much abuse before they rip or break in half get a dump insert it saves the bed and increases resale of the truck because the bed is not beat

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Exactly, truck beds are not built like they use to. Just look at a truck go over a bump and see how mush it twists and flexes. Its beacause its made out of sheet metal and plastic. I would not use your factory bed as a dump truck, go with the insert if you are set to have your truck dump. Personally i would either get a dump trailer, or a real dump truck thats built to dump.

7. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of truck are you talking about? I had one of these type dumps on my '73 F-250 for 15 yrs. I was the only driver of it so even though at times I had quite a bit of weight in it, I'd always make sure that the truck was either level or perpindicular to a hill when I was dumping. Didn't want it to twist while going up with a load on it. You have to remember it's not a dump truck and treat it as such, but it sure make unloading loose material easy.