1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Failed inspection. Please help.

Discussion in 'Zone Talk' started by Firebird!, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Firebird!

Firebird! LawnSite Member

Hello. I've converted my sprinklers to a drip irrigation about 10 years ago or so and now they decided to fail it for my annual inspection.
    I've installed hose bib to the end of pipe where the sprinkler used to be (just in case if I'll want to shut off that specific area instead of the whole zone) then build the drip irrigation after it.
    Inspector said that the hose bib is not suppose to be there ?!? for whatever reason there is I don't know - I wasn't home both times (he spoke to my wife).
    Can anybody tell me what is his problem and maybe the best way for me to fix that?

20200122_171115.jpg

20200122_171144.jpg

2. LonestarLandscaping1

LonestarLandscaping1 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

In my area: Hose bib needs to be off of domestic water, this could be one reason.

3. Smokindog

Smokindog LawnSite Senior Member

If I understand you correctly, that hose bib is connected to a zone and/or main line of your sprinkler system????

Maybe he believes that the hose bob is connected to the supply instead of the sprinkler system which is already protected (presumably) by backflow for the system connection???????? As far as I know in Texas, it would NOT be allowed to connect a "normal hose bib" to an underground system.

You could always put in a box and a manual valve and bury it all (presuming I'm right in you saying it's connected to the sprinkler system and not the supply).

I added multiple hose bibs off my main line all around the yard after I converted to a well for the irrigation system. Water is crazy expensive and it's nice to have "free water" around the yard for things!!! Then again, we don't get annual inspections but I don't think I've done anything wrong.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    hort101 likes this.
  4. LonestarLandscaping1

from Texas

In Texas it should be a quick connect, not a hose bib. But either way, if its in a box then the inspector is not going to go around opening boxes, just put it in the box if that is the problem. Does it show a reason why you failed the inspection online if the you check the permit number?

hort101 and Smokindog like this.
  5. Smokindog

I'm not sure that's 100% correct but mine could be different because the irrigation system isn't connected to the city supply any longer (irrigation well). The well itself has a hose bib just past the pressure tank but before the backflow and it was inspected when installed.

Regardless, we're in agreement, put it in a box and bury it :)

6. LonestarLandscaping1

from Texas

Well hello from a fellow Texan! It's not 100% correct for sure, but then again we are in an internet forum with a couple of sentences and a photo to go off of, was trying to give the most correct answer. Each different municipality has different rules, even within our area. Especially when it comes to backflow prevention and different devices.

Random question: Do you do just irrigation? or more important since we are in the same area, could I sub irrigation installs to you?

7. Smokindog

I'm a lowly retired homeowner with deep blue collar roots! Even at my age I still do my own work. I'd love to take on your installs but I gave up working a few years ago!!!