Failing Lawncare buisness

ConnerM

LawnSite Member
Im just wondering if I could get some stories of people failed attempt to start a lawncare buisness and maybe details of why they think they failed and what to look out when starting your own buisness

THEGOLDPRO

LawnSite Fanatic
Im just wondering if I could get some stories of people failed attempt to start a lawncare buisness and maybe details of why they think they failed and what to look out when starting your own buisness
I would only assume if someone failed at there landscaping business they woulden't be hanging around here just for the fun of it. What would be the point of staying here if you failed???

What im getting at is this thread has fail written all over it literally.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Ask the guys who aren't legit before they give up mid season, LOL! :) .... not sure why this topic was posted but many would try to turn it around before giving up.... and figure out what the problem is.. good luck

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
double post... whats going on with lawnsite being so busy?

Last edited:

MTenterprises

LawnSite Senior Member
Fail to plan and plan to fail. If you are already looking at why it will fail, save yourself the stress and get on back to the firehouse to work another 24 hr shift. Confidence and determination.

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
Every-one is coming out of the woodwork for spring and clogging up the server unfortunately.

Hey, do a search on "failed lawn care businesses" on this site. There are some good posts to help you turn things around.

There was a two part write up by a company last year. Pardon me if I am wrong, but was it "ProCut" that posted it? I don't remember exactly.

Hang in there people.

Also, there are many people who are now out of the business that DO still come to this site.

Last edited:

zechstoker

LawnSite Senior Member
I started a business that failed in less than a year, but it wasn't in the lawn care industry. It was a screen printing business that I reluctantly started with a (former) friend. I was literally GIVEN a fully equipped screen printing shop that fell into the hands of a property manager who didn't know what to do with it. I needed help getting everything up and running (financially), so I went in on a deal with a friend. Letting that guy in and allowing him to take over was the biggest mistake I could've made. He had no sense when it came to running that type of shop as he had zero experience in the field of screen printing and marketing apparel.

Lesson learned: If you're going to start a business with someone, don't "hand them the torch" if they're not familiar with the market you're servicing/selling to. I'm sure this should've been common sense on my part, but I guess it was a learning experience for the both of us.

fastlane

LawnSite Senior Member
One reason people fail in the lawn care industry is not enough start-up capital. Most companies should have 3 to 6 months working capital plus all the equipment needed (you could owe for it).This means you should have money or credit to pay employees, fuel, materials etc. It could be weeks before you receive and deposit any income. It could take years to turn a profit. Some people think they can just roll the mower out of the shed and they're in business.

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
Pro Cut's story was a good read and lesson. His was a story is that he relied on banks to extend continuous credit to finance his current jobs. With out warning the banks turned off his credit after the economy took a dump in '07. Without credit pay roll, materials, the costs of doing business, could not be paid for.

He did many good things in running his company. But he wanted to grow fast. So he operated with lines of credit. The banks called in all of his loans at once. Personal accounts and business accounts were at the same bank. Bank emptied his personal accounts to settle his business accounts and left his with no cash.

Not enough money to live off of for till the business to takes off.

Getting into too much debt to start business.

Very little should be bought on credit because most business' don't make a profit the first year. Repo comes when you don't pay the loans. Then it's out of business sale time.

Better to start part time to get enough accounts to make the move to full time. Or get an evening job to pay the mortgage while you play LCO during the day building up your empire.

Expecting a business to take off by the end of the first year. Most business' don't take off till the third year.

Confusing needs and wants when buying trucks trailers mowers and everything else.

Not figuring your costs and leaving money on the table.

Failure to keep costs low.

Failure to avoid credit. There are some exceptions but they are few. Why pay cash for a truck when the factory is offering 0% financing. You get to leave your money in the bank earning interest, and it's available if to pay the loan off in case of business drops off.

Low balling to get customers. Once you get them cheap you won't get them to pay more. Can't build a customer base with cheap people. They will drop you mid season to save a dollar. Low balling hurts the whole industry.