fake turf

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Anyone in the north have experience with it? I saw some yesterday at the mn green EXPO. I think I pissed the guy off. He was trying to tell anyone with a pet should have this stuff. $25000-$30000 for smaller homes for this stuff to maybe last 15 years. No tests have been done on the effects of snow,sand, salt on it, or heavy traffic from what I under stood. Wouldn't say how much he sells or installs. They have a rubber mat on it to so I wonder what happens on flat lawn during a flood or when heavy snow melts? They have a k-9 grass that's woven to let the pee soak through.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
That stuff may be fine out in AZ or some place like that where they sometimes paint crush gravel green to look like a lawn, but I can't see it lasting up here for very long. I mean, how are you supposed to get the leaves and dirt off? What keeps it from getting all rutted looking if you have to drive anything across it? How does it anchor to the ground so that a strong wind doesn't get under it and send it into the neighbors yard, where they end up with your $30,000 lawn? LOL

I'm guessing it's all part of obama and gore's green america plan.:hammerhead:

OP
J

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
I was asking a bunch of stuff. He was getting irretated. As far as I know this stuff laid out on a sand base. He said I guess you could use a power broom for sand from the city. Leaves I suppose you could blow them off.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
Our local high school has the artificial turf on their football feild. I'm not sure how exactly they installed it, but they did make it so it drains properly. I do know that they use lawn sweepers to keep the turf clean and free of debris. The school has had the feild for the past 5 years or so and it still looks good.

There are dedicated machines to help keep turf clean, but that is usually pretty expensive for that type of equipment. I think artificial turf could be a good alternative for some people if they can afford it. But it isn't quite as maintenance free as people think. It will still require attention regularly to keep it looking good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
You prepare the ground as you would if you were laying patio bricks. The turf is nailed down with long spikes....It's like laying a carpet.

You clean it with a broom, rake or you can use a blower. Dog messes you can wash away and the rubber backing is very strong and has drainage holes in it.

If you have done your gravel and sand foundation properly, you should have a 2 degree slope to allow the water to drain away from buildings anyways.

It's not no maintenance. Also, Check the supplier to be sure that it is lead free.

It comes in different colours and lengths and can even have a thatch layer.

Some brands are top dressed with sand or rubber pellets, other brands use nothing.

I wouldn't install it where you have to drive across it. Although, if your base layer was set up as you would for vehicle traffic on a driveway that was all brick, you could in theory drive across the fake grass. The base is generally deeper for driveways than it is for patios.

I'm in Vancouver B.C. and it gets installed here. (We don't live in Igloos you know. I saw a few people in shorts and bare foot sandals today)

Why don't you search on line for the product. The sites you find will enlighten you. You may not agree with it, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm in Vancouver B.C. and it gets installed here. (We don't live in Igloos you know. I saw a few people in shorts and bare foot sandals today)
Really?!?

Just kidding. I know how it is up there. I used to live well north of you.
Dr. NewEarth said:
Why don't you search on line for the product. The sites you find will enlighten you. You may not agree with it, but it is what it is.
I don't agree with it and here's why- We are in business to make money mowing, and we sure don't make much money when the grass(?) doesn't grow.:usflag:

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
I do designs, hard and soft installations, maintenance, consulting, arborist reports. If my business only did one thing I would go stir crazy.

I hope other people interested in diversification or offering other services can use the info.

Where did you live? Kamloops?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I do designs, hard and soft installations, maintenance, consulting, arborist reports. If my business only did one thing I would go stir crazy.

I hope other people interested in diversification or offering other services can use the info.

Where did you live? Kamloops?
On the Kenai peninsula in AK

BTW- I was just giving you some jazz about the grass(?). There are a lot of guys who do many different things here, and I'm sure they will appreciate the info you gave. In truth though, I personally like the real thing. There's nothing quite like the original design by God.

Last edited:

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Senior Member
I saw it before (installed).
It's called ASTROTURF here's the link to it: http://www.astroturf.com/

Click "residential applications"
and it takes you to the manufacturer's website

P.S. This is the Canadian website (I'm sure there is also an American website)

Last edited: